Friday, 31 August 2007

African August

In the nick of time, I have managed an African block (actually two, one for Kate and one for me) for my one-on-one swap with Kate.



What I like about this swap is I get to try things out. I had wanted to make a Bento Box quilt in browns, but after making these two Bento Blocks I have decided an entire quilt is definitely not for me. Straight piecing like this can sometimes require more thought than foundation-piecing or perhaps I've just got my paper-piecing enthusiasm back.

And I was pretty tired tonight so I had a wee little unpicking to do on one (or two!) seams as I wasn't concentrating properly. Losing my sewing room has also been a bit of disruption on the making of this block as I had started it a while ago and couldn't find what I'd done... not under the bed, not anywhere!! (What am I saying? Losing my sewing room is absolutely awful, not just a disruption!!!)

7 comments:

dot said...

Nice bocks. I really like your NY Beauties. I can't even imagine loosing my sewing room. I did a few years ago and it was hell. Not much sewing went on. I had to move to my bedroom for about a year.

Unknown said...

I really feel for you on the loss of your sewing room - my 'stuff' is spread liberally round the house at times much to DH's disgust but at least it has a home base to be returned to either by myself when in rare clearing up mode or more often by another member of the family when they want to see the carpet or sit on a chair - I think you're a real marvel carrying on stitching throughout such disruption - mind you the instinct and desire to stitch is one of the strongest :o)

Anonymous said...

Nothing like having everything out of its somewhat normal place. We have the kitchen to do in the near future and I know that the fridge will need to move into the dining room where my ironing board and projects live and I know I won't feel like I can sew until everything is back where it should be.

Lynda said...

Love the Bento box block. Don't think I've seen it before. The 3-D shape possibilities are intriguing! Please do some more so I can admire them! lol

Andrea said...

I think you are managing great whilst being without your sewing room. How long before you get it back ? Your African fabrics are lovely.

Unknown said...

Poor you having no sewing room. This African block looks very interesting.

Vera said...

I love your work with african fabrics !