Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Hexagons: Getting Started

This is how I make my hexagons. There are several ways, but my mother taught me about 25 years ago to English paper-piece and so this is the way I know...

Step 1. Decide on your size.


I worked on the basis that I wanted to replicate the hexagon quilt my mother made. I used to lie on her very scrappy version and find all the rose bits so I decided mine should be mainly rose fabrics. Instead of using the metal templates my father made donkey's years ago, I went online and found a site that offered free hexagon templates that you could print out. I put in the size I wanted, printed it off and then photocopied the hexagons until I could fit as many as possible on one sheet of paper. I then photocopied that page full of hexagons. (This saves paper when you are cutting out your hexagon 'inners'). I remember my mother used old magazines for her 'inners' and that she had 2 templates. One smaller template was for cutting the papers and the bigger one for cutting the fabrics. If you want to make a template or templates you can use template plastic, old x-rays or even a lid off a thin plastic container etc (just watch that your templates don't have rough edges!)

I used an online free graph paper site which I now cannot find, but I still have the original pdf which I downloaded so if you'd like to make the same size hexagons as me, then let me know. Otherwise this site has a free paper template in 2 sizes:
http://www.lizardofoz.com.au/free_stuff/design_papers.aspx
and they also sell papers, template packs etc as do many other sites I am sure...


Step 2. Cut your papers



Step 3. Cut your fabric allowing for a quarter inch seam allowance all around.



If I am fussy cutting, I pin the paper on to the right side of the fabric and cut around moving the pin and paper to the wrong side after cutting.





Step 4. With a pin keeping the fabric in place and with a quarter inch all around, I begin by folding the fabric over the paper on the first edge.



Step 5. Baste your fabric to the papers with a neutral thread (this is in case you leave your basting thread in a long time to avoid colour runs). I do NOT knot the end of my thread, instead I simply back stitch and then continue basting.


(TIP: Use a cheap thread and save your 100% cotton thread for stitching the hexagons together later!)

TIP: If the end of your thread is not knotted then you should find that when you come to remove your basting stitches and papers later it is much easier.


Step 6. Fold your corners sharply.



You want nice neat edges so stop a stitch short, then fold your fabric over the edge and continue basting.




Do this for each corner. At the end back stitch a stitch or two again.


Step 7. Now you are ready to start sewing them together!



(Above you can see I am adding my hexagon to some already sewn together. I pin the new hexagon like that to start ONLY to see how it will fit in with the overall look. Then I pin it as I explain below to stitch it!)

Place 2 hexagons right sides together. I pin the edges of the side I am not going to start on.

(Above I am pinning my new hexagon to 2 already sewn together. The same principle applies: you sew 2 together first, then re-pin as you get ready to sew your hexagon to the next one... Does this make sense?)

Step 8. Hold your hexagons together, making sure that the edges match together perfectly. Start stitching a quarter of an inch in and then sew back to the beginning edge.




Then sew over those first few stitches towards the pin.


This means you don't need to knot your thread and that your first stitches are secure. I sew very small stitches and continue sewing to the pin. A few stitches before the end, I remove the pin and sew to the end.

Step 9. When you get to the end, do the same and sew over the last few stitches to secure them.



I do this even if I am about to sew another hexagon on straight away! You never know if you may need to unpick or that through wear and tear of your quilt top some stitches may come loose so I sew each end very very well.

Step 10. Ta dah! You are ready to add another hexagon and watch your quilt top grow.

Above you can see that I have sewn both sides of the new hexagon on to the rest. Once you sewn your first 2 together, you will see how easy it is to join them all together and there will be no stopping you!!

Step 11. Have fun! Hand work is a great way to truly enjoy those special fabrics!

TIP: Always leave the papers in until you are ready to baste the quilt top, this prevents your top from stretching out of shape.

Please let me know if I have not explained anything clearly. I LOVE English paper piecing and hope you will too.

10 comments:

Pinktulip said...

Oh my, this is a lot of work! All that handstitching...A few years ago I was all fired up to make a quilt, but when I saw how long it takes to make, I decided to give it a skip. I have a serious dose of short attention (inspiration) span, so it would take years to finish! I can however admire all your beautiful quilts!

Anonymous said...

Excellent tutorial! Hexagons are such a fab way to stitch awkward shapes like the hexagon. Love your rosy fabrics...it is going to be lovely!

dutchcomfort said...

Love your new blog header!

Do you know I use a Sewline glue pen to make my hexagons. No more basting, love it. But... basting is much cheaper, cause you need many refills for the pen.

I learned the technique from this Australian designer who gave a trunk show at my LQS:

http://suedaleydesigns.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/04/this-goes-with-that-tutorial-week-1.html

wadenest@gmail.com said...

Your directions make perfect sense and I am so glad for them! I think I might actually give this a try...I've got a lot of fabrics that there is just a little bit left and how cute would that be in a mini version? I am all about small, portable and as fast as possible! Thanks so much! (cause I just know you did all this just for me, ha!) Nichole/The Happy Wren

Millie said...

Great tutorial. My heel eerste kwilt was 'n hexagon kwilt, soos meeste van ons Suid-Afrikaners maar in die negentigs begin kwilt het.

Fran said...

Nice new header ;-)

Bec said...

A great tutorial on hexie's!

Kim said...

I think you did a fine job of show and telling how to make the hexagons. Thank you! I always think of you when I see rose print fabric. :-D

Chookyblue...... said...

will save this post so i can come back soon and have a go...........I ahve wanted to do this for quite awhile and didn't know what/how to do it.......

Unknown said...

Great tutorial. I always buy my hexagon papers :(