Sunday, 24 July 2011

Buttons, Butterflies & Baby Hedgehogs

I love buttons, I am always on the lookout for buttons and when I saw these being sold by one of my favourite charities at the Street Market on Saturday, I had to snap them up: all three jars of them! I have thrown them in a small cake tin - I never bake small cakes LOL so at least now the tin is being used :-)

Our new 'Buddleia' or 'Butterfly Bush' is in bloom and it, along with some of my other new plants, has attracted some lovely butterflies:

(Not sure what this plant is called, but it's right next to the Buddleia so benefits from the butterfly visitors too.)

 
And our garden is home to other creatures too. A little hedgehog can be seen late in the afternoon/early evening walking around looking for food...

here he/she is in the potato plants...

I hope to be able to get around to some actual quilty sewing this week as I have been doing more custom sewing of late. Although I do have a repair and a few small custom orders to get done before I can work on my baby quilt, I'll hopefully have a burst of energy (or a big coffee!) and get those out the way quickly!

8 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

I think the plant is called a phlox, or whatever in UK English. Such a sweet little hedgehog!
Are you rwally having sunshine? We have such awful weather!

Sarah Martin said...

Is it phlox? I thought wallflower.
The deer ate all mine, so I have nothing but nice memories to compare it to!
What will you do with those buttons? I have a bazillion of them too and there they sit in baskets, looking nice...But I think I should do something with them. I will never sew enough garments to use them all up! Hoping for bright ideas...!

Carole said...

I don't think this plant is a phlox, looks like hesperis matronalis, or another one I have to look up.
So lucky to have a hedgehog in your garden ! We have one visiting now and then, I wish he would stay permanently.

Katie Z. said...

Love the buttons!

Juliann said...

My butterfly bush has not even bloomed this year but I did see quite a few butterflies in my garden yesterday once the sun finally came out. Your boys must be in heaven to have hedgehogs in their yard. Fun!

Beverley said...

I thought Phlox too.
Lovely hedgehog. I wish I'd got one to eat the slugs.

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great photo of the hedgehog! And the buttons are a wonderful find...I sometimes use my buttons on wall-hangings but mostly they just sit in jars and look pretty!

Unknown said...

Buttons are great to display in a jar or bowl or whatever...