I have never been drawn to the colour yellow, maybe it's the memory of a hideous bridesmaid's dress at a cousins wedding or the fact that my mother doesn't like yellow. This maternal dislike thing is a route I have already travelled when I wondered why my children dislike things and discovered it was because I didn't like them (like spiders which I have pretended to like so that my children will not be afraid of them!). I wondered once, why I never choose to eat puddings and discovered that my mother doesn't like puddings... Freud? LOL.
Anyway, I digress... Bonnie's recent post on her love of yellow got me to thinking about yellow and I realised that I own not a single item of yellow clothing, nor does my husband, nor do the children. There is barely a yellow item in the whole of this house! My youngest's favourite blanket is pale lemon yellow and was bought for my eldest when I wasn't sure what 'colour' baby I was having. (When you you're not sure if it's going to be 'pink' or 'blue', one tends to go white and yellow :-D). And the only other yellow item is a fleece blanket also bought when when my eldest was a baby for his cot. Hang on, I think the Moses basket is yellow... but that really is probably it!
And yet, yellow makes me think of Spring. In Germany our apartment was often decorated with yellow tablecloths and one would see lots of yellow in the shops especially at Easter. My husband has more modern tastes and hates all my clutter so I wouldn't even dare 'decorate' for the Seasons like I used to in Germany, except for Christmas (and Halloween for the boys).
I have a few small pieces of yellow in my stash, probably because I needed them for something like the yellow rims on green John Deere tractors or the occasional baby quilt that was going to a friend who wouldn't find out what she was having ;-). I have bought and been gifted floral fabrics with a bit of yellow in, but that's not the same as metres of solid yellow...
Yet, the quilts in Bonnie's post are beautiful and the summer flowers out at the moment with their delightful yellow blossoms are a wonderful sight - and Mother Nature knows about colour!
So I shall try and be more open about yellow (and puddings and spiders too!)
10 comments:
I too am not a lover of yellow although both my kids like it- especially Patrick whose favourite trainers are a pair of really bright egg yellow adidas. I own very little yellow fabric either and honestly can't remember when I last bought any. What I have will probably last me for years - lol xxx
Puddings can be suspicious! There are lots of NASTY things that are yellow too! But the pictures you posted really show how yellow can be a happy color, and lets the sunshine in! It is the first color I notice when spring arrives....and I love it all the way through autumn when the leaves turn their gorgeous golden hue...
Maybe just a SPOT of yellow will do for getting your feet wet..you can start with the new baby quilt ;c)
Bonnie
I was looking at my stash when Bonnie started her Jacob's Ladder and realized I have some gold and cheddar (orangey-yellow) but very little real yellow...nice post!
I love your photos. You have such a flair for color and design!
How funny, I have a real aversion to yellow too... The only yellow fabric I have is with some white polka dots on, and it was used as the sun on a pictoral quilt. Love daffoldils though, but that's where it ends for me :-)
How right you are about the happiness in the colour yellow. I once made a quilt with yellow predominating because an overseas teacher said it was a most difficult colour in quilts and I've used it quite often, so I have plenty for my version of a Floribunda! And in my case the spider thing worked in reverse - I cannot bear to put my face into water but my two sons are keen underwater divers.
I'm not a fan of yellow either, especially really bright yellow.
I love yellow, but haven't any clothes which are yellow (being fair, it doesn't suit me). Yellow is certainly tricky to handle in quilts, but wirth it for that extra zing it gives!
This is like red to me, I DON´T LIKE it!!!
Yellow is not a color I wear but I do love to have it in my house and my quilts. I think we have enough grey weather here in Seattle that they yellow always perks things up.
Post a Comment