These are some African fabrics she found
And these are from a friend of hers for me (Thank you!)
One would have thought this meant she understands me. Not so it seems as later I was trying to sort some swap blocks to make some charity quilts (our local Linus chapter is short of lap-sized quilts at the moment) and DM says to me:
"When are you going to stop?"
Me: "Stop what?"
DM "All this. It's all-consuming for you."
Me: "No, my children are all-consuming, this is my hobby"
DM: "Well, why don't you do something else?"
Me: "Like what?"
DM: "Well I play bridge..."
I say no more.
7 comments:
Well, I hate to agree with your mother, but she is right. Quilting is addictive, but you could be addicted to red wine, cigarettes or train spotting.... so thank your lucky stars you've made the correct choice!
Isn't it funny how non-stitchers just don't get it! Bridge? I ask you - what do you have at the end of a game? Nothing tangible that's for sure. Which is exactly why we do it - to create and have an end product. Silly games which waste time pale by comparison :o) Just keep stitching girl - the fabrics are beautiful especially the pots
Just think of the hundreds and thousands of us that quilt...now we all can't be wrong! Like Lynda said..it's a healthy obsession :o)
There is no need to stop, you can never have too many quilts, just think how warm we will all be when there is no electricity to run the heaters,
My mother only makes things if she needs them ont if she wants
You enjoy every minute
Kerry
That's funny. I used to play bridge....
My family don't get it either. My mum loves the quilts I have made her but doesn't understand the need to make more. If I sold them and made a big profit I think she would be ok with that but that's not what it's all about as all us quilters know ! Sometimes I wonder what I would do with all the extra time if I didn't sew and the answer is I would probably waste it ! I think you do very well to get so much done with having little children ! :-)
Maybe it's a mum thing. (present company excepted) My mum likes my "real" paintings but can't understand why I even want to paint anything else. And as for books! quote "Do you actually read all these (art) books?". This from a lady who can't resist the shopping urge for clothes and charity shops. I love her to bits but.... I agree with Andrea's comments above.:o)
Post a Comment