Monday, 25 June 2007

Big trouble brewing

I'm about to be in big trouble.... Around about this time last year we started building work on an extension to our little cottage. We decided to add a new bedroom downstairs. The cottage has/had an unusual layout with the bedrooms and bathrooms downstairs, and the lounge, kitchen and conservatory upstairs (for the views one presumes!). Anyway 2 bedrooms (and one very small one at that) was not going to be enough with another little might on the way, soooo we decided to extend. I was about 6 months pregnant at this point, but not worried because the builders 'promised' (don't make me laugh!) they'd be done in 6-8 weeks. I'd still have a 6 weeks to prepare and nest and if all else failed they had a months grace and I'd have about 2 weeks to prepare and nest. I can't remember the date of this picture, but I remember we were way over schedule already...

As if that wasn't bad enough with no kitchen wall and exposed to the elements, we then had no roofers. I got extremely 'excited' and made it pretty darn clear to the builders that this was no good. My midwife said I'd probably not have the baby until a roof was on as I was, needless to say, pretty stressed. (Toby was born about a week after the roof was on - he was 4 days late!)

A year later, why are we still building? Well DH has decided to change the entire layout of the house... the bedroom we added became the lounge, the old lounge became the master bedroom (still next to the old kitchen at present!). We will gain 2 bedrooms and a bigger lounge, we'll have access to our garden and we will have access from the house to the laundry/my sewing room. This will all be fabulous as I currently have to go outside to get to my sewing room EXCEPT I will have to move everything out to allow for the wall to be bashed into a doorway. EEK! Firstly, where am I supposed to put everything and secondly, when he sees the sheer proportions of my fabric/UFO/sewing stuff will I still be a happily married woman?

I phoned a friend to see if she'd like some baby fabric for one of our LQG's charities, she said if I made it up into tops, she'd finish them for me. What do you mean for me? I was trying to give the fabric away! Now I have to find the time to make tops and 'distribute' my stash around the rest of the house - not easy when the house is chaos! Being charitable is hard work or as my Step-FIL says "No good deed ever goes unpunished" LOL.
Joking aside least a few FQ's will find a good home, but where am I going to hide the rest!!!


I have been uncertain to post photos of my sewing room, as this is probably the worst it's been for a while, but I see it as a bit of a 'before' photo. Perhaps 'after' will be an improvement. DH was tidying up today and it always makes me nervous. I said to him..."lets just face it we're both messy, and not one is messier than the other". I thought if I sounded tolerant of his mess he might be a bit more understanding of mine... Here's hoping.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were such a thing as a tidy-up fairy to come in and wave a magic wand when you're asleep - I'd be up for one straightaway - I'd offer to make up your fabrics into tops for your friend to quilt but I'm probably too far away - darn it! And I thought the trials and tribulations of just having a conservatory put on the back of the house last winter were bad enough - I take my hat off to you Karol-Ann for putting up with all that whilst pregnant and with a little baby :o) and in the vagaries of Yorkshire Dales weather - you deserve a medal - but it will all be worth it once it's done and finished

Unknown said...

Forgot to say - if he queries the quantity of fabric in your stash just sell it to him on the basis of its qualities as an insulating medium - after all you need it in those cold Dales winters :o)

Anne Wigfull said...

Let's face it,in the chaos that is going to be created by building works, your DH won't notice the stash if it's spread out a bit. It's when it's concentrated in one place that it looks larger than it really is.