Tuesday, 12 June 2007

A Blast from the past a.k.a. the Mother of all UFO's

Having a quilty visitor on the weekend gave me a bit of courage to do something I've been meaning to do for a while now.... open a suitcase with a quilt in it. This suitcase as not been opened for at least 2 years. In it, not just any quilt, but my first ever quilt! And it's miles from completion... I started it when I was still at school. It's basically 4 star panels that were batted and backed (with muslin) and quilted with thick-ish embroidery pearl.

I was frightened right up until it was completely unfolded, I thought it might have gone mouldy or been eaten by my little sewing room creatures, but other than needing a bit of an airing, it looks ok.

It's been put together as a King-size quilt on a cream backing with cream sashing in between and I've started hand quilting it with circles and stars... but that's it. There's loads still to quilt although I will only outline the stars which were originally paper-pieced and 'quilted' in pearl to the first lot of very thin batting and muslin.

Here are loads of pictures of it to show the 4 different star panels (although I've just noticed only 3 can be seen clearly), the quilting in the embroidery pearl and the little bit of hand quilting in one of my made up designs....









It's still destined to be a UFO, but perhaps this winter if we don't go to South Africa and I'm freezing in the UK, I can sit under it, keep myself warm and finish it before it's more than 20 years old!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Karol-Ann, it's beautiful. I particularly love the panel with all the little stars in a group. Lovely colours and so adventurous for a first quilt.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karol-Ann,
Thanks for your comment I would have replied directly, but you are set to no reply so I thought I'd leave you a comment here instead...
Of course you can copy me. I'd love to see what mosaics you come up with...warning though...they are very addictive!..

margaret said...

That'll be gorgeous when it's done! I too have one of those VOUFOs - (very old UFOs) - it's been lingering since the previous century and wants lots and lots more handquilting -- but I've moved on to machine quilting since then. Well, maybe this winter...