Well I am back from the hospital.
Home after my fourth and hopefully final
correction of my bothersome leg.
If 17 years ago, my femur had been pinned correctly,
I wouldn't be lying here, in a cast from my ankle to upper thigh,
writing this sorry tale...
But it didn't get pinned correctly, all those years ago,
when I broke my femur, while living in Germany,
And I have had no end of trouble with my leg since then.
However this time, the consultant seemed happy with the operation
and now only time will tell how it all heals
and whether my leg is 'fixed' once and for all.
***
It was so lovely having the boys to visit in hospital.
Sadly there was an outbreak of Novovirus in the hospital
and so we were advised not to bring Baby-Kalico in to visit me.
(My operation nearly didn't go ahead
as there were no 'clean' beds on the ward I needed to be on!
This was remedied at the last minute and I was lucky enough
to have my own room and my operation!!)
(The black brace was replaced with a cast
which was then replaced by another cast
after I twisted my knee in the first cast!)
***
which was then replaced by another cast
after I twisted my knee in the first cast!)
***
Oh boy! Did I ever miss this little face!!
Not sure she missed me as much
as I was told that she was very happy
the whole time I was away!
*****
At the last minute, while we were driving to the hospital,
I grabbed the handwork from my car
and shoved it into my hospital bag
so I worked on my rose-star hexagons
a little bit while recuperating from the operation.
It did cause quite a funny incident...
A 'nurse' who came around in the evening serving tea
saw what I was sewing and said
"Oh my little girl is sewing these"
Now I am sure her 'little girl' was probably sewing hexagons,
but I doubt they were as complex as these,
however far be it for me to say otherwise....,
but the cherry on the cake was when she picked one up,
looked at it disdainfully,
and when she tossed it back down rudely on my bed she said again:
and when she tossed it back down rudely on my bed she said again:
"Yes, my little girl is sewing these".
It probably wouldn't have annoyed me if the tea she'd just served me had been in a clean mug!! :)
11 comments:
Good to hear you're safely home - hopefully this one will fix it forever!
How rude was that nurse! Surely if her little girl is doing any kind of sewing at all then it is an interest shared and any normal person would have wanted to stay and chat (nicely)about what you are making, maybe compare notes about how easy or difficult it is, where to get good fabric etc.
Oh, I'm glad you are home and recuperating. I hope it went as well as they think and that you are finally free of the trouble this leg has given you. I bet that sweet little girl missed her Mum--even if she "pretended" to be happy.
Love it when people who don't know what they are talking about set themselves up as experts. Glad you had some handwork with you. : )
Love your new blogheader picture!
Glad you’re home Karol Ann!! I’m sure your little wee girl must have been spoilt by all the boys at home!
Take care and keep on sewing!
AH! home safe and sound xx hope this is the last operation for you xx
Hope you get lots of lovely family time (and rest!) over the weekend. Do you know how long the cast will be on? Hope you get some restorative sunshine.
I love your rose-star hexagon quilt and think it is the most interesting pattern I have seen in a long time. I'd love to make one, too. Do you mind if I ask where the pattern can be found? It is beautiful and your work is truly wonderful!!
I am so glad it went well and I hope you have a speedy recovery. You are so tall I bet they had a plaster shortage after doing your leg!
Hope you recover quickly. Take care of yourself & take plenty of rest. Good to see you are home again. Enjoy piecing. Looks like another beautiful quilt in progress.
Wishing you a very speedy and full recovery.
So glad to hear that your surgery went well and you are home to recover. Let's hope this is the last you see of the lovely plaster cast. Wishing you all the best and only clean mugs at teatime. :-D
Hope the good old national health Service has sorted your leg out finally! Enjoy the rest (and the hand sewing)!
Post a Comment