Monday, 1 August 2011

How Many 9 Patches Does It Take...

... to realise you are making them the wrong size for the project you have in mind?

30!
I had a bit of a sewing session this morning as I was up early and needed to sew. I took a wodge of my Leader & Ender 4 patches and made them into 9 patches. Later I cut setting HST's and then, and only then, did I realise they were the wrong size! Oh well, never mind... they'll be used for something else I'm sure...

*********
I never confessed that while in Germany visiting Birgit and meeting Bonnie Hunter, I bought ALL 3 of Bonnie's books (and Tonya's too!)
I needed inspiration for a very mini cot quilt I have been asked to make for someone's granddaughter's doll...
So 'Sister's Nine Patch' it was from Bonnie's Adventures with Leaders & Enders...
Now to quilt it!

*********
The garden continues to grow and we are enjoying all it has to offer,
including courgettes/zuchinnis which are absolutely delicious in a cake
filled with home made lemon curd and topped with cream cheese and lemon icing!

*********
The weekend saw us head off for a picnic. DH takes fishing for tiddlers quite seriously :-)
They must find it so curious to be fished out, admired and then thrown back after a bit...

14 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

Wow your garden is doing great...so the guys aren't bringing home any fish to go with that zucchini?!

Dorothea said...

Oh, I only bought two books. Ha, but I had my sister there to buy the third one. Cute doll quilt. I love your countryside pics.

Browndirtcottage said...

Oops! So sorry, but at least you will be that far ahead on another project!!!

Unknown said...

Has the weather been nice?

Kandy Newton said...

What a blow with your nine patch blocks, they look good too. I'm impressed with your home grown veggies and very envious of that cake - yum yum yum:-)

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love that 9 patch quilt. I've wanted to make that forever.
The countryside photo is so inviting.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Oh that pic of your guys under the tree...the reflection in the pond is SO PERFECT!! Yes, my dear, that one is "suitable for framing" in my book! Looks like a glorious weekend was had by all, and topped off with a wonderful cake ((To die for, by the looks of it!))

Bonnie

Clare said...

I agree with Bonnie. That photo is brilliant!

Sorry about the 9 patches, but I'm sure you'll find a use for them. What size are they?

Juliann said...

The nice thing about 9patch blocks is that they will go with so many projects - now you are 30 blocks ahead on something completely different!

Elsie Montgomery said...

I loved every bit of this post... except that I could not have a bite of that cake!

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your news...looks like you have plenty to keep you busy!

Hope the little man is feeling better and that you are out enjoying this fabulous weather!

Sadie said...

I had to come back to look at the cake commenters raved about. That's what I get for not reading everything I thought it was a veggie quiche or so. Please pass some over the channel.

Lynda said...

Bonnie's Leaders and Enders book is inspirational! I have been making nine patches too for just the same quilt (although I have a few more than you!)

Gail said...

Hi,
I'm an "anglophile" from New Hampshire and would love the recipe for the courgette cake.

Love your blog and hope to be a regular follower.

Gail :)