Saturday, 13 August 2011

Seeing Yellow

I wasn't going to start anything new, but I had the instructions printed out and I had that yellow phobia I wanted to explore further and I had lots of spare florals and, and, and...
SO I did a few little blocks just to see what all the fuss was about and I have to say Bonnie's Florabunda is a very cute block!
Not cute enough with all that yellow to make a massive quilt,
but definitely cute enough to maybe make 16 blocks for a baby quilt...

**********
Of course the doll quilt sits on top of my other sewing machine waiting to be quilted
while my attenton is diverted, but I will do that soon...
... well as soon as I can come up with a quilting design to try out
as I think I may be all Stitch-In-The-Ditch-ed out =)

While I was taking photos I looked up and saw the printer's tray that I bought at a Village Fete for a £1.
I love it filled with threads...
I have far too many polyester threads so will be putting cotton thread on my list for the next quiltshop/quiltshow expedition! I like 100% cotton threads for quilting and polycotton threads for bag making... just one of those things...

**********

Abby is still using my battng/wadding as a 'nest'.
I noticed when I tidied the sewing room that she has scratched herself a cosy spot
so I will have to re-wash it and use it for stuffing toys if I am allowed to use it at all!
But how could I even contemplate ruining her special place =)

8 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Funny, yellow has never been a favourite of mine either, but when I see others work with yellow I always love it!

Awesome printer’s tray with threads!

Abby now makes nests from batting, later she will make them from quilts! You better be warned!

woolywoman said...

my little dog does that, too. I had a batting unwrapped and put it down, next thing I noticed she had tunneled right in, made herself a little batting igloo.

I like the yellow! if you wanted to make it bigger, you could make alternate blocks with a different solid, such a blue, to cool it off a bit.

Lynda said...

After a thread workshop with Dawn Cameron-Dick I am now phasing out all my poly threads. Cotton is so much better for piecing and quilting, although I hadn't thought that poly would be stronger for bags. Good idea.

Cathy said...

I love your Floribunda blocks. I'm working on it also. All my yellows are different as are my florals. Hugs

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

HAHAHAHAH!!!! I'm just home and catching up and I SEE YELLOW! :c)

Gotcha! :cD

Anonymous said...

Yellow is a funny colour..not a light nor a dark...just a bright! It's in a category all on its own!

Love the pic of Abby...too cute!

Janet O. said...

You have succumbed to the bright side. These blocks look beautiful--even good enough for a large quilt! : ) I hardly had any true yellow, so my blocks are more mustard yellow, but I'm loving the results.
I, too, have phased out the poly blend thread for quilting. I was having problems with quilts made for my grandkids (read:see lots of wash and wear) fraying out at the seams--even with good quality fabrics. Started reading about threads. Found a piece that said your thread should never be stronger than the fibers in the fabric or...it went on to describe exactly the problem I was having--when there is stress on a seam, the fabric shreds. Switched to all cotton thread--no problems so far!

Unknown said...

If you take the batting she will just find another piece to use, just leave it.