Friday, 28 August 2009

Secrets, swaps and 'summer' holidays

It's still school holidays here so there is not much sewing going on....

This is the only quilty pic!! My eldest (almost 5) loves taking photos and my youngest (almost 3) loves monkeying around in them...

It's my scrapbuster on our bed...



As we are not going away for any of the holidays, we are doing 'stuff' locally. So off we went to Tropical World in Leeds. We started off in jumpers, but by the time we were halfway through we were sweating!

The place is HOT! I guess there's a clue in Tropical? LOL

More butterflies...



I am definitely bringing my Mom here, she is always complaining it's cold in England (and there were Meerkats here too in a South African desert recreation...

Then we had a trip to the Butterfly House (are you sensing a theme here LOL) in Williamson Park in Lancaster

It also has a mini-beast section with various revolting little critters like hissing cockroaches etc... And a gorgeous flower section and aviary...

An added bonus is the playground with stunning views to Morecambe Bay on one side and the memorial on the other...

On the drive home we saw a hot air balloon. We stayed to watch it get itself out of the trees...


The boys had been watching Peppa Pig and the littlest guy remembered the song when they were in a balloon. Something like "big balloon, big balloon, bigger than the sun and moon..." (Remember to hold the note on 'moo' so it sounds like 'moo oo oon' LOL)

Then the only vaguely warm day we had saw us head off to Morecambe Bay again for some sandcastle building...

DH said that he didn't recall ever going to the beach when it was that overcast as a kid. As a South African, I can safely say, I never went to the beach when it was that overcast as a kid, because, hey, the sun shines in Africa in summer!!!! We are still waiting for summer to arrive here! The poor kids wanted water for their moats, but there was only mud LOL

All sewing related stuff is now top secret as I have joined, not one, not two, but 3 swaps...
I've started work on this one (top secret)
TheStitchersAngel

I also signed up for Chookyblue's Sectet Santa Swap. Last year Sharon from Red Geranium Cottage was my partner and I adore the bag that she made for me.

Then, I'm not sure what came over me, but I also signed up for the 2009 Advent swap and this sounds fun. I have Ailsa as my partner and we will be sending each other 24 little gifties and one big gift for Christmas. I had better get sewing!!!

12 comments:

Fran said...

Next summer you will have to head south to the new Butterfly World in St Albans - it's been one of the highlights of our summer!

Anonymous said...

What a nice family outing! You found some wonderful local places to visit. I look forward to seeing your top secret projects when the time comes that they can be revealed.

Chookyblue...... said...

thanks for joining the swap again.......I also signed up for the Advent Swap........have fun........

Anonymous said...

Did you see the amazing used book shop in Morecambe Bay? I blogged about it last August...

We're having a staycation this week...though I think my DH would like to try a few days camping. The memory of the last camping trip (in July) is too fresh in my memory to feel like doing that again too soon! Just over a week before the kids go back to school and I go back to work ;o( I've enjoyed my time off.

dutchcomfort said...

OMG you sure had some fun with the kids! Those butterflies look gorgeous!

3 swaps, my dear, I would even go nuts considering 3 swaps... but they sure sound like fun!

Happy days!

Millie said...

What a nice family outing...great picture of your son on the quilt.
Mooi bly!

Unknown said...

Nigel's cousin and his wife were married in that building in Lancaster back in 2001 - beautiful setting for a wedding and a lovely park.

Back to school for me and the two youngest this week - Sarah doesn't return to college until Mon 14th - can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it - does Jack start primary school this time?

Unknown said...

Three swaps, you are out of your mind!!! *LOL* It is good that everything is a secret, I can pretend that I am doing something but I just can´t show it on my blog, you know it is a secret, the truth: I am not doing a stitch!

Pinktulip said...

I miss these outings with the kids. They are great fun, for them and us! Now mine are teenagers they are not keen on such outings anymore (unless it involves girls, of course).

Three swaps! I did the same last year and swore never again. Deadlines tend to creep up on you...good luck!

Ginger Patches said...

I love that top picture...what a cutie!! We did a Staycation this year too :) I missed the deadline for the SSCS very sad...oh well next year!

loulee said...

Wow, enjoy all those swaps.
I wish I'd been with to see those butterflies. Stinking weather we are having. Sunshine today though.

Toni said...

Secret sewing swaps...Whhhaaaa....well poopers than! I've got some swaps too, but I plan to share what I've been doing...once I catch up with life! Lovely photos!