The day started with my friend Vicky coming over so that we could all go in my car. We loaded my kids and Vicky's quilt tops and drove to Grandma's house. We piled kids, bags, lunchboxes etc out and headed off to Chris, the lovely longarmer. (Grandma a.k.a. Crazy Grandma and Grumps, meanwhile took the kids on a day out to see the birds at Harewood House). I collected my Orange Crush (now ready for binding...)
I chose a swirl and feather design and am very pleased with the quilting. I also chose a Moda backing which I think is very cute. Now I just need to bind it...
Then we wandered around Salts Mill looking at the David Hockney's, the lovely book shop, stunning cook shop... This was thirsty work and we ended up lunching in a nearby cafe/winebar called 'Don't tell Titus'. I later heard that Titus Salt, the founder of Salts Mill did not approve of alcohol licensing in the area, hence 'don't tell Titus'. However, you can tell as we only had Lattes!
Sorry no photos - I forgot my camera, but we hope to do it again!!!!
Over the summer Chris is very busy so she is unable to do DS1's quilt until after his birthday. So I have pieced some wadding and am thinking to attempt it by myself. Life is a bit too short for getting on my hands and knees, killing my cranky joints and basting this quilt on the floor so we'll see how I get on.
And I have had a brainwave on DS2's quilt. I bought this row of Mickey Mouse panels in South Africa to make him a school bag and some place mats for the new kitchen, but think if I do a scrappy border around them it could look quite cute... Love the colours for a little boy - all those yukky greens LOL
My Mom came to the rescue and after a few texts to and fro, went out and bought me a few more rows which she will mail to me so I may just manage the quilt, the bag and the place mats (and hopefully before he grows out of Mickey Mouse LOL)
The Raeburn was moved this week...
There she goes....
Now what?
Actually, she's in. She just needs to be plumbed/connected or whatever they do... but she's in!! One step closer to that kitchen :-)
This week, I also received a block from Kate for our African block swap. We have decided to do 6" blocks from now on so that we can in theory be working on our borders.
This is a cute block and love the idea of a star border...
6 comments:
Your Orange Crush looks fantastic quilted. The vintage Mickey Mouse print looks gorgeous - you youngest will love it. I am sure you will do a great job on the quilting of your sons quilt. There is a good tutorial on basting at Oh Fransson. I did my last one that way and it was a lot quicker than how I used to do it!
Sounds like a lovely day! Hopefully you will show a full photo of your OC soon? hint hint :) I love that star block, great fabrics!!
I'm sure Jack won't mind if the quilting isn't perfect - anyway you'll be fine. I think you should just go for it xxx
I thought maybe she was gone for good and you wouldn´t have to cook! That Salt mill place is beautiful. Have you done all the blocks for the quilt (the swap with Kate)? The Mickey Mouse panel is great and I am sure you will make a beautiful quilt using it.
Nothing like a day out without kids doing the things we love! We all need a break from each other every now and then.
Your kitchen is really progressing now! Soon you will be showing it off to us! And cooking in there!
Have a great week!
That's a sneaky peak of your orange crush...hope we get to see a bit more ;o)
Post a Comment