Tuesday, 3 June 2008

Old news, old quilt...

Well I'm yesterday's news LOL because today on Carol Doak's group there is a great new quilt pattern free to members to celebrate the second birthday of the Carol Doak’s Yahoo group.

So to celebrate all that is old, here's an 'old' quilt of mine...



Inspired by a little red heart block (and a postcard) that my great friend Birgit sent me in the mail many moons ago when I was living in London....



And so all sorts of hearts started being made, many were appliqued and many were paper-pieced. Birgit taught me to paper-piece and she even taught me to make QST's too. Thank you dear friend!

Here's the back...



The centre fabric was bought on the parade in Cape Town. When I was a girl, my Mom and I used to go to the Parade to buy fabric, not sure I'd risk going there now and I'm not even sure they still sell fabric there, but I remember it well.

On another note, I have finished step 5 of the Orange Crush Mystery quilt.



But I'm not sure they play nicely with step 4 so I'm waiting to see what happens next before I remake step4...



Wonder where I got my colour inspiration from for this mystery quilt...

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Old news, old quilt (beautiful) but a brand new gate!

Unknown said...

I don't know about 'Yikes we're two years old' from the look on that little girl's face it should read 'Yikes, how in all the world am I going to make that s.o.b. of a block?!!!!!!'

What did you do to your little one on the picture of the back of your heart quilt (which is gorgeous btw - but then I'm a sucker for hearts) I can hear him from here 'Mummy let me out - sob' Poor child! :o)))

Mmmm really like that heart quilt design - might have to squirrel that one away for future reference, by the look of the clouds in the background I hope you got it safely back inside before it rained

Chookyblue...... said...

love your old quilt.........

keslyn said...

Hi there, I love your little red pieced hearts, and I also love all of your green grass and your stone walls, we have had rain over the past couple of days so maybe our grass will turn green again.
Kerry

corry said...

I love that old quilt with the hearts, its a real beauty!

Anonymous said...

Love that heart quilt...so moody with the dark clouds moving in! It would make a great postcard!

Beertje Zonn said...

Wow, what a beautiful quilt!
kind regards,

Sonnja & Beertje Zonn
from the Netherland.

Linds said...

Hi there... I wandered over via Nicolette via Connie.... I am not sure how! But I had to say hello, because I am also from Cape Town, and living in the UK and I love quilting as well. I just loved the african fabrics, and would love to know where in Cape Town you go to buy them! I will be back to visit again.

jovaliquilts said...

What a great fence for displaying quilts! The heart one is lovely, and the back is like a second quilt.

I've always been afraid of mystery quilts because I can't try out the look before I've already invested a lot in it. But Bonnie has good sense when it comes to scrap quilts, so I'm sure she has something clever to put it all together. I love your orange fabric -- in fact, I have some!

Anne Ida said...

Your heart quilt looks wonderful! Love it! The back is really great too!

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

Hi! I came over here by way of MaryQuilts and I have to ask....is this the same Yorkshire Dales that my beloved James Herriot wrote about??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? If so can I just say SCREAM!! OH MY GOSH!!!! Do you love it there?? It is a place that I have thought lovingly about since I was 10 years old!! I love the pics you have on your blog...thanks for sharing them with all of us.
dawn

Lynda said...

That's the problem with mystery quilts - you don't kmnow how the fabrics will look together because it's a mystery! Looks like yours (and the inspiration for them) go together fine.

Ruth's Place said...

Love the old quilt. It looks great hanging over the fence! I like your blocks for the mystery too.

~Niki~ said...

I have a new quilter's list if you'd like to join, we'd love 2 have you
http://justusquilters.blogspot.com/

margaret said...

There's just something about heart quilts that makes them irresistible! Catching up with your blog, I'm SO envious of your lovely view through your new window - and glad to see that both DSs look to be completely recovered from that sudden-onset illness.

Anonymous said...

This is a great quilt, love the way the hearts are placed between the squares,
Thankyou
Tracey x