Thursday, 12 June 2008

The Amazing Travelling Quilt



Well not really, but at this time of year many travellers pass through our area on the A65 heading to and from the Appleby Horse Fair ...


This friendly traveller allowed me to take a few photos of my Berry crush flimsy on his wooden horse-drawn gypsy caravan known as a varda.



I have been waiting for just such an opportunity....



While being stuck behind them on the road, I kept thinking how great they'd look with quilts....



I'm sure many who are in a rush to be somewhere don't find this mode of transport attractive!



The tourists stopped to watch me take my photos LOL...




And back on the farm, DS1 just loves when our neighbour brings the tractor up to help us with the garden.

32 comments:

Beertje Zonn said...

What a lovely fhotos!
Kind regards,

Sonnja & Beertje Zonn
from the Netherlands

Knot Garden said...

The quilt looks amazing with the horse and caravan. Brilliant photos!

Fiona said...

Oh wow, what a superb way to display your quilt. And I really like the 'berry' colourway instead of orange.

jovaliquilts said...

Oh, wow!!! Your Berry Crush looks gorgeous on that. What an inspiration to photograph it there.

Andrea said...

Those quilt photos are just too cool - lol ! Brilliant.

Chookyblue...... said...

I like the picture on the horse........

Brenda said...

Thank you for sharing; what a wonderful way to photograph your quilt. A part of history that remains today is calming. My grandfather had a old green tractor that he let us play on and what a joy if you actually got to sit in front of him and steer while he was plowing!

Brenda

Anonymous said...

What fun...boy you don't get that opportunity everyday! Just shows that the right props make the photo.

Unknown said...

I don't know how you found the courage to ask to use his horse and caravan - I wouldn't have dared - and how funny all those German tourists stopping the bus to watch - can you just imagine the stories they'll be taking back from their holidays about 'mad English women' and you're not even English - you make me laugh! Your little lad looks like the cat with the cream next to that tractor :o)

Unknown said...

and btw I just love the berry version instead of the orange

dutchcomfort said...

O wow, pictures from the past! Your quilt looks stunnung on the wagon!

Toni said...

HOW COOL!!!! What a nice guy and great way to show off your quilt!!! Very cool!

Jeanne said...

Isn't that the perfect place to photograph your beautiful OC! Thanks for sharing.

loulee said...

Great idea Karol Ann. Your Berry Crush looks at home on the caravan.

Boys and tractors!

mereth said...

You couldn't have got a better prop than that, especially the green of the cover and the red wagon. What a perfect setting, and I hope he didn't think you were TOO mad!

Annie said...

What a great opportunity!!! And the photos are just great - I love your colors. It so nice to see all the variations of the "Orange Crush" that are appearing now. Have you decided on borders yet??

Roslyn said...

Your blog almost makes me wish I lived in a charming old village in England!
Roslyn

Anonymous said...

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed your blog - and strayed off to visit some of the blogs you mentioned. I've bookmarked them so I can go back and spend more time looking at them.

Love those little boys - they grow entirely too fast!

Joan

Lissa Jane said...

Oh my gosh, the photos are perfect! the quilt looks stunning.. you know, when you said taken on the back of a horse, I was thinking about how I look at my quilts as I am not the worlds best piecer I usually say 'best viewed on horseback gallopping past'..

I really enjoyed reading your blog so thank you for sharing the link!!

Sandy said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of your berry crush in a unique setting - you could have a career as a stylist, well done!!
Like the way your red turned out too.
Sandy in South Australia

Sandy said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of your berry crush in a unique setting - you could have a career as a stylist, well done!!
Like the way your red turned out too.
Sandy in South Australia

Helen in the UK said...

What a fun way to showcase your OC quilt!! Congrats on getting to this stage - it looks great :)

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I loved the pictures you took with the wagons! TERRIFIC!!

Bonnie

Lynda said...

You are lucky to see travellers with wooden caravans. The ones round here have beautifully appointed ordinary ones! The photos of your quilt on the caravan are awesome!

Rose Marie said...

Love the quilt and the photo op! What is it about boys and tractors ...

Unknown said...

So the horse stood still, you stood and took pictures of the quilt on the horse and the tourists stepped out of the bus and took pictures of you taking pictures of the quilt on the horse *LOL*

Kim said...

Amazing opportunity to have a photo-op with a horse drawn caravan. You quilt looks like it was made for this day to come along. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

The Berry Crush is perfect for the the Gypsy Caravan. How lucky are you to find one with a nice owner to display your quilt.
It might be worth sending that photo to one of the Patchwork Magazines. You will probably win a prize for it.
Cheers,
Jenny

Kristie said...

First off, the quilt is beautiful!!! But I just love the way that you displayed it! That is such a wonderful idea!!!!
Kristie

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

WOW those are fantastic ! I love the quilts, photos, caravans and that last photo is sooo sweet..:)

Anonymous said...

That is very cool! Love the photos! I've always wanted to see Europe that way, but then the reality of having to look after a horse hits lol.

Cathie said...

Hi Karol Ann! What a cool post - love the wagon with the "traveling quilt" and the quilt is quite nice, too! Aren't the simple pleasures in life the best!!!