Friday, 2 May 2008

Of Pirates and Beauties

Here's the last of my New York Beauty's:
A2 (again)


These are the rejects. All a bit too small due to 'scaling' and not 'cropping' the printouts...

(So just one more for a cushion...)

I have no more of the patterns for this quilt. The BOM that I signed up for is sadly no more and I only have about half the blocks done. Unfortunately the lady organising the BOM has had some difficulties keeping up and her Yahoo! group has been closed before she released the other half of the blocks month by month (- bah humbug!!!). Apparently one could have purchased them previously, but I believe even that option is now untenable.

I'll have a little think how I'll arrange what blocks I have done, but I think I'll only make one or two more and move on to something else.... (no change there then LOL)

On a brighter note. Look what I got in the post today: A pirate parcel of precious patchwork pieces!



Thank you Toni! a.k.a. The Quilting Pirate for these lovely 'spare' blocks from her course with Bonnie Hunter. She also sent some great fabric, a memo pad, a pirate duck (which is apparently now DS1's!!), a pirate card and a cool pattern.

DS1 says the house with the skeletons is the best!

Last year at Halloween he borrowed a skeleton outfit for the day.

We went to 2 parties and still months later that's all he can talk about. Skeleton parties, skeleton outfits, skeletons, skeletons... (he is only 3!). I guess the search for a skeleton costume is on LOL.

The pattern of Toni's blocks is Bonnie's Happy Scrappy Houses, my all time favourite pattern and how I initially found Quiltville.com. I just have to make some myself sometime soon!!

8 comments:

Lynda said...

The New York Beauties are lovely. You must be so disappointed that the class is over. I'm sure you could do a few more to make the numbers up into a reasonably sized quilt! (Says she, who gets very bored when she has to foundation piece lots of blocks which are the same or similar!)

Mary Johnson said...

Your New York Beauty blocks look wonderful. What a nice gift too to receive blocks for your own house quilt.

Anne Ida said...

Your NYB blocks look great! Too bad the yahoo-site for the patterns were closed down!!! But you have a great collection of blocks that will make into something lovely! If you want to make some more NYB blocks, Ula Lenz has some free patterns on her website: http://www.lenzula.com/pattern/free/nyb.php Not sure they will match yours in size, though...

Lovely pressie of house blocks!

Wishing you a great weekend!

Unknown said...

The skeleton house is great, those animals which are "inside" the house are fabulous.

Unknown said...

Lovely NYB blocks - must have a go
As for skeleton suit a very dear departed friend of mine made a superb skeleton suit for her young daughter for a halloween party by doing this - she got a black roll neck long sleeved cotton jersey top and a pair of black leggings, turned them inside out and the traced all the bones onto iron-on interfacing(vilene) and ironed it onto the inside of the garments - that way the child could still use the garments the right way out as conventional clothing too - the whitish grey effect of the interfacing ironed onto the black made perfect bones and the suit was a big success

Anonymous said...

What beauties...those NYB :o) They will make a stunning quilt. A shame that you're missing the rest of the patterns...You'll have to design some new ones of your own.

TTFN

Jane

Kate North said...

Alex has a pair of pyjamas with glow-in-the-dark skeleton on them - I'll send them along when he outgrows them, if the interest is still there, then!

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great box of house blocks! Love Anne's idea for making a costume!