Thursday, 29 May 2008

Orange Crush or (Red) Berry Pie

I have chosen red as my 'orange' for the Orange Crush mystery as I'm not really an orange kind of girl and even my pie is red LOL.


This is another version of the fantastic pie recipe in Healthy Gluten-Free Eating. I can't recommend this book enough if you are gluten-free, but still want to be able to eat cakes, pies, biscuits etc.


Here's another shot of the view from my window. If I'm sitting at my table I will be able to see the kids getting up to all sorts in the garden (I hope).



The last few days I have been so full of cold that I spent an entire day in my pyjamas wishing that instead I was spending an entire day in bed! But, that was sadly not to be and so now I'm still full of cold, but soldiering on... I managed bits here and there before coming down with my cold and then had a whole day without a single stitch!! But finally last night I finished Carol Doak's May Block of the Month.

I wanted to try and use less black so used lots of Amafu fabrics again although I probably could have used a few more colours.


Here a gratuitous shot of DS2 in the bath last night.

He makes me 'tea' in the bath, it's very sweet. Talking of sweet, I bought some plants at the street market (don't ask me what they were, I have NO idea!) and because I'm clueless about plants I was asking the lady for advice. I bought two bushes and she said that they were quite established, but if they got too big I should just cut them back. That night in bed DS1 and I were talking about the street market and he said that he heard the lady say that if the plants got to big I could just take them back LOL

14 comments:

Toni said...

OOOO ahhh I like the red in your OC blocks!! And that pie looks YUMMY!!!

What a great viewing window!! I want bigger windows in my sewing area, I might just have to sit and sew at your place LOL

The block is incredible!! I'm really liking your african fabrics!! Especially in this one I see my newest fabric!! mmmmmm...I might have to give you an order for next year's visit!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh DS2 is having lots of fun in the bubbles and bath tea is always the best kind :)

jovaliquilts said...

I love the way you use fabric! That's a gorgeous block. Thanks for the link. Have you ordered directly from them (looks complicated), or do you have another supplier? And thanks also for the gluten-free cookbook recommendation. A friend's son was just diagnosed with celiac disease and I will share your recommendation with them. And speaking of sons, yours is adorable!

Ann J said...

Hope you are feeling much better soon !! Love this block too !!

Andrea said...

A few days in your pyjamas won't hurt. I love my PJ's - lol. Can't wait to see your red crush quilt. At the risk of sounding like an old biddy it doesn't seem two minutes since I was taking photos like that of my kids in the bath - sweet !

Jeanne said...

Are you sharing that pie or eating it all by yourself? *s* It looks delicious! Great view from your sewing room. Can't wait to see how the red looks in the final lay-out. I'm not sold on the orange yet.

Heleen said...

That pie looks Jummie! So does the block!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karol-Ann, I love the Amafu block. It doesn't need more colour it's beautiful just the way it is. I love SA fabrics also. I have a SIL living in Jo'burg and a niece in Cape Town. We visit about every 3 or 4 years. Due back in Sept for the SA Quiltfest. I will be back to visit you again soon. In the meantime I will pop you into my favourites!
Cheers
Jenny

Juliann in WA said...

Yum - Gluten free pie- I think I need to make one of those this weekend.

Unknown said...

What a fabulous view from that window - and love the bathtime photo - bless!

dutchcomfort said...

Love the view from your room and the African fabrics block.
Kids can say such wonderful things!
Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a gardener either...it's a wonder anything grows in my garden!
That's cute of the DS1 thinking you could take it back...LOL

Quilter Kathy said...

Great berry pie crush blocks!
I have never heard of the fabrics you are using in the PP'ed blocks - they are really wonderful in these blocks!

Unknown said...

It´s a good deal that you can take them back if they get to big *LOL*

Alison said...

Karol Ann, I have just spent 20 minutes drinking my coffee and thoroughly enjoying your blog. I spent 1/2 of the first 10 years of my
life living between Canada and Dorset, England. Seeing all your country photos and stories takes me back to the Dorset seaside/countryside many years ago! Thank you!