Thursday, 11 October 2007

'Anything goes' African style

I was telling a fellow blogger that when it comes to African fabric 'anything goes'. Well that's true, but all of my African blocks that I have swapped with Kate so far have been rather 'conservative' so time to practice what I preach...

Take two fabric squares (I have to make 2 blocks - one for Kate and one for me). I wanted to use a focus centre...

Add borders and just sew, but remember to have fun (I did)!!

until you get to the size you need (our blocks are 12.5"). Trim them to size...

and voila...!



This is a similar method to Patti's 'crumb chaos' blocks except that I haven't used really teeny crumbs. But if you haven't seen it already Patti has a wonderful tutorial to make quick blocks the 'Crumb Chaos' way!
(See Patti’s 'Crumb Chaos' tutorial here)


Still on an African theme...
A while back a friend of mine sold me some of her African fabrics and included a bag of scraps. In the bag were a few half started blocks. With her permission I decided to put them all together adding all the borders that were missing. I made a load more from the bits making a quilt top out of all the blocks - it was a bit like putting a puzzle together LOL.
Here it is... a bit wonky and I need to straighten it up a bit, but I guess that's what happens when you have no straight lines to follow (and no design wall) LOL

12 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

I love the African et Voilà blocks!!
Where do they sell these beatiful African prints fabrics? I specially love the ‘abstract’ ones.
(P.S. the link to Patti’s tutorial goes to a page you can’t open in Blogger...)

sewkalico said...

Thanks for that - I have fixed the link now :O)

dutchcomfort said...

Yes, the link works. Wonderful tutorial. I love everything that’s made with ‘free spirits’ and not by the book of ‘the official guidelines’ from quilters! I was often told in fabric shops that quilting has to be done by hand, the piecing and everything else... I think that’s ok for all the traditional quilts and quiltlovers. I’m a self-taught woman and love to break the rules!

Kate North said...

OOh, I like the zebra - no, the lion - no, the zebra - oh heck, who can choose?

Unknown said...

I can see it now that "anything goes" I see "MY" fish fabric there LOL

Vicky said...

Love the quilt top you made from the bag of African fabrics you bought.

Vicky - friend of Kate's

Andrea said...

Some of those fabrics are "wild" - lol ! Lovely animals - bet the kids love looking at this quilt. Eagerly awaiting pictures of your "bound" quilts ;-)

Anonymous said...

Love the African blocks - it seems like you get better African fabrics over there than I can find locally here. :) Do you have any suggestions where I can look in Cape Town?

Laila said...

Great idea. I love the African blocs. And how to make it. So easy and fun. Great. I think I have to try it.

Unknown said...

So the Boks v the boys in white - glad I won't be in the middle of your sofa next Saturday :o)

corry said...

Great way to sew blocks! I love these african fabrics, beautiful!

Vera said...

Great african mix !