Tuesday, 6 September 2011

'Square'-ing Hexagons

It seems that once a project reaches a certain size
and needs borders or just general finishing
it just slides into the UFO pile...
Then sometimes a comment from someone
asking if I had indeed finished a particular project
is just what I need to get going on it again...
Well I would really like to finish my hexagons
and have it on our bed, but it was just getting so bulky
and I was stumped with how to 'finish' it.
Then I had a brainwave LOL.
I thought if I want to get it longarmed by Chris 
I need to put some borders on or square it up...
I love cream on cream fabrics
and so I just started putting some cream scraps
over irregular sized papers.
The papers are 3" in width, but vary in length...
I sewed a few cream pieces together
and then attached them to the hexagons
which I squared off just by folding them over...
As I was photographing the borders,
I noticed this 'rogue' fabric.
I thought it was sufficiently neutral,
but alas it sticks out to me....
Although I have almost finished one and a half sides,
I have only used it twice so far
so I think I am going to unpick it
and replace it with one of the other neutral ones...
I am planning on piecing the backing from left over rose fabrics.
I have already started cutting them, but not machine piecing yet.
I also am planning (once it's quilted)
to bind it in some red spotty fabric or something of that ilk...  
I love sewing hexagons together by hand
so I imagine I'll either be doing another one
or something else with papers
(or I may even finish my Carolina Lily
- now wouldn't that be something LOL!)

10 comments:

Plum Cox said...

This looks lovely - and I think that you are right about the fabric that you plan to take out - but I would LOVE to see your lilies finished! Please?

YankeeQuilter said...

This quilt is going to look fabulous!

Janet O. said...

Clever finishing technique. Beautiful quilt.
Hey, I like rogue! : )
--Janet O. aka rogue quilter

Andrea said...

I think I would take the darker stuff out too - it's looking fantastic. Just think you have a year to hand quilt it to get it into next years Harrogate Show - how about it ? Not like you have much else going on - lol. I was a bit disappointed with this years show and am sort of trying to get one finished in time to enter next year. No chance of winning but would be nice to see one there. Didn't spend much cash either but still had a nice day xxx

Katie Z. said...

Beautiful! I look forward to seeing it finished!

Lady of the Cloth said...

It has turned out very nice. I admire anyone doing that big a project with hexes. I'm like you about borders. That is my least favorite part of quilting. I, like you seem to push it to the background when I get to that stage.
Enjoy your day!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Love this top so much...GORGEOUS!

Bonnie

Lynda said...

There are so mnay unfinished hexagon quilts out there (as Project Linus rep, I know, as I have several donated ones waiting!). The problem is the edges, and you have solved this problem beautifully. (Although I am a big scrap quilter, I have to agree that the tan scraps in the border do need to go.)

Beertje Zonn said...

Beautiful quilt.

Bear hugs, Beertje Zonn

Filled with quilty goodness said...

Bee-you-ti-full!
Good on you that you get motivated when others remind you of old projects. I'm rather resistant to those comments.