Thursday, 4 March 2010

Sewing therapy


Q: Why did the banana go and see the doctor?
A: Because he wasn't peeling well!

This is my 3 year old's favourite joke and because it makes him laugh so much, we have to laugh too. Today I don't feel much like laughing. The sun is shining, my operation is 6 weeks behind me, but I'm so low. Not because after today's x-ray I still can't weight bear on my leg, not because I have to rely on everyone to carry stuff for me, not because I can't just get in my car and do something different or fetch my kids from school. No, I feel low because of all of those things, but probably more because I miss my sewing machine. I miss my foot on the pedal, my brain on the task and the way that makes me feel about my troubles!

I have physiotherapy every week, but what I really need is some sewing therapy!

17 comments:

Kandy Newton said...

Ha ha. Loved the banana joke.
Oh, you poor thing. I feel so bad for you. Can you sit at your machine at all? If so and you still have the use of your other leg, could you move your pedal over and try and see if you can sew using that foot? Worth a try, no? Even if it's just mucking about. Failing that you could try sewing with one hand and use the other to press the foot pedal - I'm not saying it'll be easy...... but you might be able to do something.

I'm guessing you are a tad short of the six odd grand needed for a Bernina 830? (hmm, me too :-( ) Because that only needs you to press a button and then move your fabric to start sewing

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oh, is there a day in sight, a time that your therapist says you can sew again? Ask for a prediction. Our neighbor is a doctor in workman's comp and he says people heal much faster and with less stress when someone tells them they have six weeks or whatever.
In the meantime, big hugs (oxoxo) and prayers for your rapid return to what you love.

Sharon said...

You must be very frustrated, hand sewing doesn't always do the trick, and you produce so much work normally. My sewing machine has been packed up for the last 6 weeks during house renovations and I can't pass the empty dining table without feeling a bit sad. Hope the physio does the trick!

loulee said...

Hmm....Can't you use the other foot? There must be a way to get that spare leg out of the way.

Contented Caroline said...

Oh bless you - I can fully understand how low you must be having just been through a bout of depression myself. I want to be your foot on that pedal! I would if I could. Be sure to watch my blog next week and i'll have a hand-sewing stitchery project - at least you have hands.

Kim said...

Oh dear. Sounds like your not peeling happy at all and have a ways to go and I sure do feel for you! Hope you mend soon.

trash said...

Think the idea of getting a possible 'start' date from your physio is brilliant, until then how do you feel about sticks and yarn? ;-)

jovaliquilts said...

Hang in there -- this can't go on forever! Are you keeping up with the handwork? Not the same, but perhaps better than nothing?

Vicki W said...

I'd be sad too. I think I need to send you my cross stitch project to finish. That will make you feel a lot better! lol!

Jo in TAS said...

I agree with the others, knowing a possible date might help things along or trying a new craft like knitting or crocheting (not sure if you can already do them) but it may be a chance to challenge yourself to learn something new.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Hope you can have a good sewing session soon - nothing quite like it to lift the spirits! Hope you manage to rig up the machine so you can operate it with your hands or your other leg. Perhaps it would be a good time to work on a sewing project with your boys - they could operate the foot pedal while you manouvere the fabric. Take care - hope you are feeling much brighter soon:)

Unknown said...

The joke is just too cute! But not being able to weight bear on your leg is tough. I sure hope that your therapy starts to work for your leg. I am not sure what I would do without being able to sew for that long of a period. Can you use your other leg?? That would be what I would try to do first. I will be thinking of you and hope you continue to recuperate quickly.

dutchcomfort said...

That banana joke is great!!

You need a fysiotherapist who quilts, so your therapy will be focussed on getting you back at the sewing machine!

Both my Janomes have a (hand)button so you don’t need a foot pedal... If only you lived closer I would come over and bring you the machine!
Hang in there!

Clare said...

How about some hand sewing? Have you got a quilt that needs binding, or even hand quilting. That might bring some relief.

I can just see your little boy telling that joke and laughing himself stupid.

Take care of yourself - you'll get there in the end.

Tingelingeling said...

I still thinking on you.. Wish you good times and more sewing times! Your pictures is lovely, and so also your Quilting work!
Hygs from me!

Unknown said...

That joke is so funny :) I feel so sorry for you my dearest, try to find something positive to think of!

Anonymous said...

Here's another you can tell him...

Why did the cookie (biscuit) feel bad?

Because he was feeling crummy!

I hope you are feeling better soon...and that you get back on that leg soon. ((Hugs))