Friday, 19 March 2010

Of Mothers & Others & Hints of Spring

The boys were talking about Easter the other day and of course they remembered hunting for eggs last year with their friend Luca. I had some Easter fabric bought at Birgit's shop absolutely yonks ago and decided to make them each an Easter basket for collecting eggs. (DS1 wanted to know if I was going to put a Bionicle into it!!)

I was going to do a tutorial on how to make an Easter Basket, but to be honest it's basically just a simple interfaced tote bag with a bit of 'Cheater's Binding' around the top...



Here on the farm we have some lambs...


And the Crocuses are out...


So it's starting to feel very Spring-like indeed... :-)))))

It's still a little on the chilly side, so I just had to include this photo of Granny C showing DS2 how to keep his hands warm when you go out for a walk :-)




Last Sunday was Mother's Day in the UK and I was lucky enough to spend it with my Mother and my Mother in Law. In fact, I was lucky enough to hobble around and cook a roast dinner for 8 adults and 2 children! :-) It was a really nice day and the day started with 2 very excited little boys wanting me to get out of bed at the crack of dawn to be given some presents. At school, they had both made me cards and cute boxes (filled with iced cupcakes). And they were so excited and sweet. Silly really as everyday is Mother's Day - when you have kids there truly is no rest for the wicked :-D

DH bought me these seeds for Mother's Day:


He clearly has high hopes. I was hoping to start small. A few tomatoes, maybe some pumpkins, but it was very kind of him to show such faith :-)

I made my Mother, MIL and SIL a coin purse each...


My MIL & SIL are off to Disney for Easter so I popped in a few spare dollars from my last trip to the US which was also ages ago (definitely pre-kids!!)


And here's a parting shot of a parcel DH ordered last week. Actually he didn't order a parcel, he just ordered the washer, but it came all the way from Germany in this box!


We had a good laugh about it especially as the delivery chap insisted I sign for it!

14 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Happy Mothers Day for last weekend - how wonderful that you got to celebrate with other mothers in your family! Love the coin purses you made - they look such a handy size. Good luck with the vegie garden.

Jo in TAS said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! I love it when kids give handmade gifts, it's so sweet.I laughed at the washer in the huge box, it must've cost alot to post!
Your coin purses are very cute too.

Katie Z. said...

Pumpkins should be lots of fun! I started growing them when I was a wee one - they will take over the garden AND yard!

dutchcomfort said...

Those Easter baskets are so cute!

I’ve a great suggestion to use the washer for... please read this post:

http://thimbleanna.com/?p=976

All those seeds... are you supposed to start a greengrocery...LOL?!

Anonymous said...

Great post - love it all xxx

Penny said...

Some lovely crafty things there - the purses and the baskets.

I used to feel that Mother's Day was more about little children then the mum, but it does change as they get older.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Your Mother's Day sounds like a very happy occasion. So good to hear the joy in your post! Our Mother's Day is officially in May, but as you say, with a family who loves you, every day is mother's!

maria said...

I love your new header.Is it one of your quilts? The coin purses are lovely.

Anonymous said...

Love the new picture on the blog page .
Thanks for the Lemon Drizzle cake it was delicious . The boys were full of their adventure with Mark . Over the hills and far away , they had such fun. The baskets look even better in real life . I'm the lucky one being able to share time with you in the flesh so to speak .
:-) Love and Hugs Vicky

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day! I can't believe they sent that washer in such a big box! AND you had to sign for it! LOL How stupid!!

Glad to see spring is making it's way to you finally after all that snow. It's nice to get outside and feel the warmth of the sun.

BTW, love your new header! what a fab picture!!

Unknown said...

Why didn´t they send the washer in an envelope? We don´t have egg hunt here in Iceland, how is it done :) Where is the picture in your header taken?

katepang said...

I love the bags - they are so brilliant. We have buckets saved from previous Easter eggs, so they get used again. I haven't forgotten that I need to send you some fabric - finishing PhD next week (REALLY!) so I'll get organised after that.
Glad you are on the mend.
Love
K

Pascale said...

Love your new design for your blog, and the Easter baskets are really nice. You are starting a new tradition in your family.
we are also waiting for the real spring to come.

Pinktulip said...

Love the little Easter baskets! So simple to make and yet so pretty and handy. I am always amazed at the gifts my family and friends buy me. Do these people actually KNOW me? Sometimes I wonder...Happy Mother's Day! Ours is only in May. Don't see the point of these special days except a commercial ploy. Mother's Day does not change the cooking, cleaning and washing routine at all!