Wednesday, 31 December 2008

UFO's: Ending the year how I plan to begin

I made a mini list of my most pressing UFO's (in my sidebar) and last night decided to tackle the borders of my Orange Crush mystery quilt. The border pieces were half done and just needed putting into rows. Then the plain blue inner border and the plain red outer border needed cutting and piecing.

I read the instructions where Bonnie says something like "Now for some Maths...". Uh-oh!!



Well I just decided to wing it with her measurements. (I didn't even measure my quilt to see if I was going to be lucky or not LOL). And it all fit together just fine. Whew!!! My kind of quilting!!!

Now for the back. I plan to piece the back from strips I cut ages ago.



I haven't really got a plan with the strips, I know I had a few ideas, but can't remember which one I had planned to do as I had cut these strips so long ago.... I'm sure I shall think of something. But at least I am tackling those UFO's which is a good thing as an evil temptress has informed me that Bonnie is starting a new mystery called Double Delight on New Year's Day and I just love the sound of it so.... I have pulled fabrics and am thinking I may join in if DH's sewing ban is not put into place!

And while I was sewing last night, the others were doing a puzzle...



I have said if there's a sewing ban, then there will also be a puzzle ban, a tennis ban etc etc...

On another note, I did really well this Christmas. Sharon's gift went everywhere with my Hexagon's in. I have 2 fabulous bags for my WIP's from 2008 (one from Peg and one from Sharon - Thank you both again!) I also joined in the BQL Secret Santa and got a stunning folder cover for the 'Handmade gift"



and some cool notions for my "Purchased Gift"




Our neighbours returned from their holiday in New Zealand and surprised me with some great fabric and some fun panels. My favourite fabric saying was in this picture....




"Me Quilt? No, I just collect fabric!" Umm, well, yes, I guess so LOL

Kate also kindly sent me some blocks from a swap we did together a while back and as I still had some over from when I made my scrapbuster quilt (as seen in my header) I thought I'd like her spares to try something else a bit scrappy again... (Umm, about clearing those UFO's... well, yes, someday!)



The extra pineapple blocks are pretty cute too! Thanks Kate!


Now, it's just left for me to wish everyone a Happy, Hearty, Healthy (and most importantly handcrafty) New Year!!!

20 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What lovely neighbours you have!! I love your Journal cover - very pretty! Best wishes for a fabulous 2009!

Ginger said...

Wow, gorgeous gifts! All the best to you for 2009 - hopefully no sewing ban:)

Lynda said...

Busy, busy, busy. What's all this about a sewing ban?! Can't be true! Happy New Year to you and your family and lots of happy sewing in 2009!

corry said...

Happy New Year to you too! I hope that 2009 is the best ever for you and yours.

Unknown said...

I can hardly believe that Andrea is trying to tempt you to start new projects, it is awful.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Julie said...

Happy New Year to you. And I hope your sewing ban is lifted soon. I would be a very grouchy person if that happened to me. LOL.

Unknown said...

That's a total fib Karol-Ann - I know you don't just collect fabric, you also quilt with it - I've seen them :o))) ps: Sewing ban = Tennis ban, sounds fair to me

YankeeQuilter said...

Your O.C. quilt top is coming along great! I had to admit to Bonnie last week that my OC was still in pieces in a bag...I have already pulled fabrics for her new mystery though!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Wish you and your family health and happiness in the coming year. Love your mystery quilt--those are wonderful colors! How do you get so much done with two little boys running around?!? You must extremely organized.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your Carolina Crossroads!
Are you starting the Double Delight?!?
There is a lot of puzzle activity around my house too!

Brenda said...

Happy New Year! I really enjoyed your post. The orange crush quilt looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Pascale said...

I'm also sending you my best wishes for the new year, that 2009 bring you lots of love with your family, and lots of crafty time.
Pascale , from the Uk.

jovaliquilts said...

I'm so glad you're finishing up that Orange Crush mystery quilt -- it's looking wonderful!
Have a great 2009!

Amy said...

Happy New Year!! I love the orange crush... I have not tackled my borders yet. thanks for sharing.

Beertje Zonn said...

Happy New Year, Karol-Ann!
Kind regards,

Sonnja & Beertje Zonn

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Happy New year.... glad to see the orange crush is almost finished. I love the strips you are using for backing.... they look wonderful.

dutchcomfort said...

Happiest of New Years Karol-Ann!!

So much goodness to enjoy in your post!!

Amy said...

I started with my 9 patches on Bonnies Mystery, I was not ready to do the squares,plus I had to have something to post for my Pink Saturday,,.. hope to see your progress on your blog. have a great day,

Carol E. said...

Your Orange Crush quilt is fabulously beautiful! Fun to visit your blog which I found from a link to a link to a link.... check mine out and see if you want to be one of the "Carols."

Unknown said...

I love that scrapbuster quilt! The purple triangles really make the colours sing. Happy New Year!