Monday, 5 January 2009

A time to break down, and a time to build up

I have sewn part 1 of Bonnie's Double Delight mystery quilt, part sewn part 2 and 3 and had a sneak peak at parts 4 & 5!!

I laid them out on the floor to have a little look at how my colours would work. I pronounced "I like it"!

DH walked past. "Have a look" I said proudly...



Well, he thought there was something not quite right :-) He tried a few variations replacing the 9 patches for 4 patches etcetera etcetera etcetera... In the end, he went back to Bonnie's original design LOL, but I changed the pinky-peach for red. I guess he's just not a pinky-peach kind of guy :-)))



I did make a few teeny-tiny little fabric purchases including the brown for this quilt to make my stash work. There were only 6 FQ's of the brown 'dinky diamonds' left in the shop which was just as well as I needed a yard and a half! Unfortunately one of my sneaky purchases was the peachy-pink!!! But I shall use that on the back with the now discarded 9 patches.


Building work has resumed. Walls have come down and dust is trying to settle in every single nook and cranny in the house.



We no longer have a family bathroom downstairs.



Just as well we now have a new one upstairs.


The children did some building too...




We no longer have a gingerbread house :-)

16 comments:

Locket Pocket said...

That gingerbread house looks lovely! And your blocks are going to be great!

Lucy x

Unknown said...

One smartie for you, two smarties for me - guess the gingerbread house took even less time to demolish than the downstairs bathroom - Ye Gods the dust!!!!

ps I prefer the red too :o)

Beertje Zonn said...

The blocks are lovely also the gingerbread house!
Kind regards,

Sonnja & Beertje Zonn

Ginger said...

Fantastic Gingerbread house - my cutters are still pristine in the tin, we didn't quite get round to baking nevermind decorating...

Love DH getting involved in the quilt design - and then deciding you had it right to begin with!

jovaliquilts said...

Totally great gingerbread house. Good thing you have a photo, since it's being enjoyed in non-visual ways now. ;) It's great your DH takes an interest in the aesthetics of the quilt. I hope you didn't have to re-do much to switch to red.

Unknown said...

I'm dreaming of a husband who (shirtless) gets down on hands and knees to take turn playing with rearranging blocks. You have got a keeper!

maria said...

From quilt block arranging to building, what a man!

Unknown said...

Tell your DH that he should stick to the renovations. The boys are always so cute.

Kim said...

Hi! Aren't you glad that you get to cut and sew rather than sawing and pounding? Such a mess of a job your hubby has there, but all for the good! Look at the sweet "Dream House" that you little guys built? Hubby should take a note, lol. Good to hear that progress continues in all aspects of your family life.

Julie said...

What fun that you made a "gingy" house! I don't envy you that construction dust. I can remember how awful that is. And it really does get on everything!!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Great blocks. Love the gingerbread house. Looks like the kids did too?

YankeeQuilter said...

I cannot believe you have made that much progress on the mystery quilt already! You rule. I may be going to a quilt retreat in two week and have resigned myself to not being able to start until then. (another vote for the darker red...good call by the DH!)

corry said...

Mmm.. the Gingerbread house looks yummie, that must have been so much fun to make!

Kim said...

Do you have a future quilter in Carpenter Hubby?

Millie said...

Love the Gingerbread house...and seeing DH admiring your work!

Gelukkige Nuwe Jaar!
Millie (with a new blog)

Patsy said...

I think your quilt will be lovely, and your gingerbread house was so cute. My kids love to build these. This year they took over and I watched and took pics. Can't wait to see the finished top.