Friday, 27 May 2011

Questions about Quilting

I am in the process of basting my New York Beauty quilt top...
So now I am in a quandry about whether to quilt it with Baptist Fans all going in one direction,
or fans going in the direction of the blocks....
or to quilt it in circles...
... and what thread?
I hope I decide soon or it will remain a UFO for a lot longer *sigh*

14 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

I lov e the Yli (?) thread in the left and I guess baptist fans will look great!

Anne Ida said...

I would do babtist fans in the direction of the blocks, but that's just me ;-) Hope you manage to decide so you can bring it with you on your seaside holiday ;-)

Katie Z. said...

Ha! I would quilt in circles in whatever color o thread you first picked.

Lynda said...

I think the quilting should enhance the overall design, so I think following the pattern of the quilt would be best (eg. circles and parts thereof!). As to thread, again, you don't want to detract from the gorgeous design, so a dark neutralsih colour would be best. Whatever doesn't stand out on the design.

Clare said...

What Lynne says makes sense and, yes, a dark neutral colour would be best.

Lisa Werdel said...

wow, another beautiful Quilt !
I would go in the direction of the circles to enhance them and the dark YLI on the left looks good !

have a great holiday !!

... 12 days till we leave for New York !

xxx Lisa

Elsie Montgomery said...

I have left quilts on my design wall for weeks, letting them "tell" me how to quilt them. Eventually the ideas come, and they are always just right. Unless you have a deadline, I'd just wait until you are certain about what you want to do!

Plum Cox said...

It's hard to know what would look best, isn't it? have you tried the old 'photo of quilt on the screen and holding up acetates with your quilting choices on' trial? I'd have thought that something echoing the shapes that you've worked so hard to create would be nicest, with a thread that doesn't fight the fabrics....
Good luck!

jovaliquilts said...

This is not my strength, so don't give what I say too much weight, but I agree with Lynda -- circles and parts thereof. Good luck!

Sue said...

Just found your blog via Bonnie Hunter's. Very nice, love your quilts, cat and yard.

Sue in Canada

Unknown said...

I am with Anne Ida!

Unknown said...

I'm no expert on hand quilting but I'd guess that with all those seams it would be easier to work the arcs of the baptist fans to match the curves of your blocks

Anonymous said...

I would definitely follow the shape of the block.

Have you tried googling images "new york beauty quilting"? There may be other ideas there.

katepang said...

I think following the blocks in a baptist fan pattern. I'm also tending to the thread on the left, it looks yummy.