Thursday, 29 April 2010

Double Delight: Sewing the binding on...

Today I finally sewed the binding on my Double Delight by machine!

One of the reasons for the delay is that I wanted to bind it in brown, but I didn't buy enough. I had lots of blue, but I have already bound a quilt in blue (is that a silly reason to want to do brown or what LOL!) I bought the first piece of brown off Ebay and luckily the Ebayer still had some which she kindly listed for me. Unfortunately she put it on a 7-day listing so I had to wait a whole week to bid on it! Never mind, it's here, it's washed and more importantly it's on! Now I just need to hand stitch it down, but I doubt I'll get it done for April as it's a pretty big quilt and I haven't even started the handwork part yet :-)


It has been Longarmed quilted by Chris at Fathers-Heart. I chose a pantograph called "Dahlia Delight" and I think it goes so well with the Michael Miller Daisy print which also has tendrils... Dahlias? Daisies? Not sure I can tell the difference :-)


And instead of a quilted back, which I started, but after discussing with Chris the difficulties in lining a 2 sided quilt up, I used an old cotton duvet cover of DH's which he liked, but which we no longer use. I think it goes quite well with the overall feel of the quilt.


The quilt that I started for the back is going to be made (eventually) for a special friend's special birthday so I've got just less than 2 years, but hey I'll probably be sewing the binding on the night before (or the week after!) LOL!

5 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I can so relate to the binding dilemma...I quilted a quilt for my brother last November. I leave on Wednesday to go visit and haven't put the binding on the quilt yet...maybe Tuesday night?!

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely. I always love that last bit of the quilt's journey as you sew the binding down and know it is going to be done.

dutchcomfort said...

Love the quilt, quilting, binding, everything. I always look forward to the binding stuff, at least I know the whole sandwich and quilting stuff is done...LOL!

Unknown said...

You are so productive. Great quilting.

Lynda said...

Those dahlias look daisy-like to me - and anyway, they're both flowers!