Thursday, 14 January 2010

One Mickey Mouse quilt coming up

I had these Mickey Mouse placemat panels as the starting point for Ds2's quilt, but I wasn't feeling too inspired with their shape. There were 10 rectangular panels and I wanted a 3 x 4 layout so needed 12 blocks. I cut the panels into 12 inch squares and managed to squeeze 12 blocks out of the 10 panels.


Then I laid them out. They needed something....
I remembered the beautiful star quilt from the book 'Quick Quilts for Kids' by Elizabeth Keevil. I have made one of the other quilts in this book and always wanted to try her star quilt (you can see a bit of it on the cover) ...




I found some 'Wonder Under' from my good friend Birgit and set about customising my Mickey Mouse squares.

We had 'black ice' outside our house and in the yard yesterday. After DS1 slipped and hurt himself getting to the car, we decided not to risk a drive to school. So the boys were home and my sneaky sewing was interrupted a few times...



Voila! LOL. Lots of stars in red. DS2's favourite colour!



I used my selvedge method of keeping track of which squares went where...



Added sashings...



And then borders... And now we have a Mickey Mouse top ready for basting!



Mom's butterfly quilt got put on hold to do the Mickey quilt, even though it was already basted as Mom has decided that for health and warmth reasons she won't be able to come and help me when I go into hospital. I'll be on crutches for 6 months so she probably feels that there will be plenty of time to lend a hand LOL. I do hope to get it quilted soon though and can always handsew the binding while recovering.

20 comments:

loulee said...

Mickey Mouse looks fantastic. Your little man is going to be thrilled.

Clare said...

I love the blocks - the original Mickey. Not the more modern version.

trash said...

Am quite taken with that book, looks like it might be a cracker but am loving those spots on the back of your mum's quilt best of all!

Contented Caroline said...

Looks fabulous.

YankeeQuilter said...

loved how you thought outside the block/box! The red stars really liven it up! Here's hoping for warmer weather for ya'll soon...

Kandy Newton said...

You have taken some ho hum colours (although a nice design)and turned them into Wow, fabulous. Hope the weather improves for you before too long. K x

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oh, I really like what you did with your panels. The stars are perfect and your layout is totally inspired. Good job!!

corry said...

The top looks fantastic with the red stars and squares. i'm sure you're gonna make a boy verry happy!

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

I like the original fabric but what you have added has really given it a special zing. What fabulous quilt it has ended up being! Good luck with the leg!

Ruthie said...

LOVE the Mickey Mouse quilt! What a great way to use panels.

Linda said...

The Mickey Mouse quilt is fantastic! I really like the addition you made. Classic Mickey is my very favorite and this quilt does him justice quite nicely.

Pascale said...

I love the quilt you made for your son. It turned out very nice indeed. You are making so much, it's going to be a shock to your system to be in hospital, but then you will recover faster because you are active beforehand.
Sincerely.

Andrea said...

I love those stars - what an inspired touch !!

Unknown said...

I love that green colour in the Mickey Mouse top. Your boys are so cute as always.

Kim said...

Cute, cute quilt - always have loved Mickey! The stars do add a lot of interest to the quilt, great idea!

Gosh, it will soon be time for your surgery, which you have waited patiently for. Hope this procedure does the trick for you.

Ruth's Place said...

The Mickey Mouse quilt is fabulous.

Hope all goes well with the hospital.

Lynda said...

The Micky Mouse quilt looks wonderful! It definitely benefitted from the red!

Anonymous said...

Love the boys quilts and your mums . I'm so lucky to be able to view the real ones. Great scones and my tea always so much nicer out of the spotty mugs. Love Vicky C

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love the Mickey quilt. Nice job.

Pinktulip said...

Wow, you make it sound so easy! I know it is not since I have attempted a wall hanging before (it is still no finished a year later!). Love the Mickey Mouse quilt and your Mom's Butterfly quilt is also stunning.