Friday, 29 January 2010

Learning to walk again (and again and again..)

It has been a blur of pain medication in insufficient doses, interrupted sleep by blue uniformed nurses, hospital food of questionable flavour, needles and cannulas, bandages and staples and not very nice revelations...:


On admittance I was informed that the current corrective procedure probably now needs to be done in 2 surgical phases and we will need to see if this first correction heals satisfactorily before proceeding with the second corrective surgery later in the year. The second phase will in fact be a reversal of one of the initial corrective surgeries that I had in Germany (which at the time was necessary just to get me walking again).

So it has been quite an ordeal to say the least and to know that I will probably have to be this sore later in the year again is not a thought to be relished. However, I am home, I am alive, I can walk a bit, albeit very painfully, with my crutches and my hands can still sew, so I will sew and read and heal and love my boys (and Mom) and be happy to be home!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I am home, I am alive, I can walk a bit, albeit very painfully, with my crutches and my hands can still sew, so I will sew and read and heal and love my boys (and Mom) and be happy to be home!"

And you are a star and an inspiration to us all! So glad you are back home safely. Get well soon.
Best
Joyce (no blog)

Vicki W said...

Glad you are home and I hope you are feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are home...rest up and soon you'll be up dancing :o)

(((hugs)))

Contented Caroline said...

Sorry to hear the news about the op. I hope you heal soon and feel better - sewing is great therapy so keep those fingers movin and we'll all check back again soon to see how you're getting on.

Blessings.

trash said...

Home and moving - can't ask for more right now, huh? Continue to heal well.

ladydi said...

I just chuckled over your comment on Jodie's blog, and came to visit for the first time. There's no place like home for healing, and I wish you a blessedly painless recovery. I loved seeing all the quilts in your last few posts.

dutchcomfort said...

Welcome Home! Sorry for the paint your going through!

Enjoy all the things that you can and will be doing!! Take time to have your leg healed!

Hugs for you, all the boys and your mom!

Marie said...

Welcome home and even though it is still painful atleast you are there with your precious family. I am thinking of you and will continue to remember you in my prayers. Hugs, Marie

Elsie Montgomery said...

Pain does have an upside - once it is gone we cannot remember it that well. May your pain soon vanish and your healing be complete. One day at a time... hugs from me too.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear that you have to go again!

Kandy Newton said...

Glad to hear you are home safe and well. Hope the current pain will very soon go and you mend quickly. I am so sorry to hear there is more to come for you. Think positive though - at least you can't do any housework eh };-p ? (((((((((cyber hug)))))))))) x

loulee said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care and do lots of sewing. ((Hugs))

Ruth's Place said...

Glad to hear that you are home, so sorry to hear that you have to do it all again later in the year though!

Wishing you speedy recovery and lots of sewing time.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Sorry to hear that you need another procedure later in the year. Hope your family are taking great care of you:)

Love the Mickey Mouse quilt you finished recently! The appliqued stars are perfect.

Pascale said...

As everybody else I am glad to hear you are home and well. Now you need time, lots of hugs from your boys, and as you said it is lucky you can still sew.
Sorry to hear about the next op, but if it is necessary, better do it now and be done, than suffer in the long term. Just think of how wonderful it will be when all is finished and you can race your boys.
love.

Jo in TAS said...

Home and with family is the best place to be to recover! Take care of yourself and happy stitching!
Hugs
Jo

Pinktulip said...

Welcome home! I am delighted to hear all went well with your op. I had to laugh when i saw you mention "I can still sew" even with crutches! Just make sure you follow doctor's orders and do not overdo it.

Kim said...

I've been thinking about you, wondering how your mending. You are such a brave and determined girl! I know you don't relish the thought of yet another surgery, but you'll make it through and hopefully be done with this business. Good to know that you are home with your family again. Sew as much as you can if it keeps you in good spirits! Hang in there! :-D

Wendz said...

Hi Karol-Ann, Have been thinking about you a lot lately. What a blessing to have your Mom with you to help. Word gou gesond vriendin. xx