Thursday, 29 January 2009

Hospitals, Hexagons, Hearts...

Today I had a post-op consultation at the hospital. I waited for well over an hour for my five minutes with the doctor :-)

Just before I was called in, they tried to send me to see someone else. Someone who would know nothing about my operation or why I was there...
I sat in the waiting room sewing hexagons so to be honest didn't notice how long the wait was...

Following doctor's orders, I came home and took my own dressings off and snipped my own dissolving stitch thread ends. Then I felt sick. I am faint-hearted LOL

Speaking of hearts, I am working on another handwork project as well as my hexagons.



All this tidying up around the house has unearthed these die-cut hearts that my friend Donna sent me quite a few years ago. Donna included template plastic, freezer paper, glue, a demo heart and 85 (or so) fabric pre-cut hearts...


I decided to do them in bed and slightly differently to Donna's suggestion. So am doing the applique method where you draw an outline (using the template) on the right side of the fabric and then as you stitch you push the edges under with your needle. Needle-turn applique without the freezer paper. I would have done needle-turn applique with the freezer paper, but getting to an iron while resting was too much like hard work.


I have now done 8 and half and have 78 (or so) to go :-)





The other applique hearts that I did in an English paper-piecing sort of way while I was in hospital after my operation have found a new home. They'll be going to Clare for Quilts for Leukaemia:



Here's a little secret (don't tell DH)..., but while I've been lying in my bed I treated myself to 2 new books (sshh!).
This is one of them...



And this is my first attempt at an embroidery from the book.


I don't 'do' embroidery or 'stitchery', but I do love roses and I had an idea that I may embroider some of my hexagon pieces that are not rosy enough with a rose embroidery... just an idea...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a very talented lady--your handwork is exceptional!! Been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, hoping that every day you are feeling more like yourself. When I had the back surgery and they were taking out the staples, I nearly fainted, too. Must be very traumatic for the body. Big gentle hugs to you! Carole

loulee said...

And a very good idea too. Extra roses! :-)
Love the hearts, very colourful.

Unknown said...

Oh Karol-Ann - I just love the idea of those sweet little embroidered roses scattered in and amongst the rose hexagons - just inspired! (Btw what size are your hexagons from point to point?) As for the needle turn hearts, just a tip, you might find it easier if you tack on the actual heart roughly just over quarter inch in from the sewing line to start with - it would drive me crazy just pinning as I'd keep getting the thread caught round the pins as I sewed, however if you are managing just fine with the pins tell me to butt out and get on with my own stitching! I love the hearts they look so sweet :o)

Clare said...

When Mrs Bebbs stops telling you how to do your hearts, I'm going to get her to do me some more to go with yours. I've got a little girl waiting already.

katepang said...

I love the embroidered roses on hexagons too, brilliant way to add extra interest. As my sewing machine will be out of action for the foreseeable future this might be a good way to stop sitting at my laptop all evening doing my family tree, which is frankly quite done enough!
Hope you feel better and better everyday.

Unknown said...

Why did you have to do this yourself, I would have fainted. Your embroidery looks great, by the way I contacted your HUSBAND and told him you had purchased 2 new books!!!

dutchcomfort said...

Did the doctor offer you a job at the hospital... dissolving your own stitch thread ends.. or do I understand ir wrong?...!

Love your hearts!! Sooo sweet as well as the stitched rose on your hexagon! You clever girl!

Vicki W said...

Those aare great recovery projects! My friend, Anne, is doing appliqued 6" embroidered blocks too. She just keeps a little pack with her and works on them when she has a few minutes. Glad your recovery is going well!

Anonymous said...

You like to live on the edge don't you? :o)

I think you deserve a little bit of retail therapy...after all you have just had surgery...and a big clear out... :o)

jovaliquilts said...

I can't believe they made you cut your own stitches!!! Eek!
Seems like the upside of all this is time to do handwork.
And I just loved seeing you use "different to" -- I'd never heard that construction until I was in England last summer, and everyone used it. We speak the same language, but with a difference.

Katie Z. said...

Well, you are braver than I. Last time I had stitches, my mom (a nurse) clipped them, and I thought I would be sick before she was done. I love the embroidery!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Your attitude and work inspires us. I'm sure that it will speed your healing.

Hugs!

Ginger said...

Your hearts, and the embroidery look great! Aren't laptops and wifi great? Shopping even when you're stuck in bed. Take care.

Brenda said...

Great to know you are keeping yourself busy while resting in bed. Sounds as if you are healing very nicely. Your heart projects look great. Plus you are doing a magnificent job on stitching the rose. Look forward to seeing more as you get them done. Have a great day!

Julie said...

I pulled my brother's staples out of his belly with a pair of pliers after his appendectomy. He didn't want to go to the doctor to have them out. It was fun!! LOL He is tough and made a point of not whimpering or flinching.

Ruth's Place said...

"I don't 'do' embroidery or 'stitchery'" Sure looks like you are doing a great job to me! It's stunning.

I can't imagine taking out my own stitches...I would have made my husband do it lol

Gorgeous hearts too.

Pinktulip said...

Gorgeous! I enjoy embroidery every now and then. That book is on my list of "things I must have" as well!

Thecraftytrundler said...

Hope things are going well for you. I have just found your blog,and you have done some beautiful patchwork. I love the idea of combining the embroidered roses with hexagons, that is so original & very pretty!
I too have the 'Sew Pretty Homestyle' book. It is excellent, and a great one to inspire, and cheer you up, if you're feeling poorly. I made some of the make up bags from it, like yourself, and would like to do loads more of the projects from it. So many projects, so little time!!!
You are welcome at Clover Cottage at any time. Would love to see you!

Happy sewing :o)

Sharon xx