Toni sent me these cool Happy Scrappy House blocks. I doctored some of the windows and doors to make them more scary for DS1 and have machine quilted it in metallic varigated thread that I won some years back in a raffle at Birgit's Quiltfest. (Time to win another raffle as I'm out of this thread now LOL - or perhaps I just over-quilted with it??)
Here's a close-up of the quilting. I tried some words. I have never done words or much machine quilting, but I am really enjoying it.
I definitely need more practice and I also just need the hanging sleeve or something like that and it's done, done.
I've been having a little play with the leftovers of some charm packs. I robbed the charm packs of roses and then thought that some of the rest of the fabrics would make a few small Autumn wallhangings...
It's still in the 'play' stages... I cut the pumpkins out free hand then I tried a bit of hand stitching and machine stitching of the felt pumpkins and just played around... These were fun. One will be a very mini gift for the hostess of the annual Halloween party.
We just did not 'do' Halloween in South Africa when I was growing up so I've got some catching up to do :-)
And for those who wonder how I sew at all in this house, here are the gruesome details:
We have lost our 'dining room',
(here you can see my friend Vicky and I sitting at the upstairs kitchen table perusing patchwork magazines on the last day the table lived upstairs.)
but gained some stud walls and a skeleton of a bathroom.
Oh well, at least my scrappy houses are finished! :-)
21 comments:
Ahh, the joys of living in a house being remodeled. I went through that as a child and it was certainly challenging. I would try to sleep late on weekends and someone would come trooping through my room to get to a window or something. How exciting!!
Your scrappy houses are great! I love the word quilting. Such a neat idea! Your pumpkins are looking great and will make a super gift! Have a great weekend!
Love, Love your houses..can't wait to see what the dining room becomes when finished to bathroom. and those pumpkins are wonderful! I think your quilting was great.
What a fun and spooky post!! Spiders hanging over your dinner table?
I admire your machinequilted words!! The houses are really spooky. You had a load of fun, that’s obvious!!
Good luck with the remodeling of your home..!
Eeek! Spiders.
Your houses look great. I read somewhere that it is good practice to try writing something as you quilt. wrote my name and my sons names in their quilts, it's lost in the meander unless you know where to look.
I know how the changing house feels, I grew up in one, it's very disturbing to come home from school and find you have no bedroom anymore!!
Not all the scrappy houses are finished LOL Tell your DH that he has to finish his scrappy house! Yours are great and the words are awesome. The spiders are a little creepy.
Love those spiders above your table - oh the remodelling will all come right in the end (eventually!) Glad to see the man of the house is being liberally supplied with tea and coffee :o))) LOVE the scary houses - your writing looks great for a first attempt - keep practising, it does get easier and I love the pumpkins too - have you seen Kim's pieced ones they're terrific - I shall have a go at them once I get all the sale stuff out of the way - too late for this year, but in plenty of time for next!
I love your scrappy houses - so cute! maybe you can hang them on a stud wall. LOL! It's good that you have boys - they love living in a construction zone!
Your scrappy houses is so cute. I like the writing in the borders, too.
You must have a lot of patience to be able to sew while all that construction is taking place. *s*
Gosh ,I cann't believe how quick Mark has got that stud wall up as it was only Tuesday I was enjoying a scrummy lunch with you all in the dinning room. Lets hope the rest of the bathroom gets finished as quick. I've made 4 great bags using ideas from that wonderful janpanese book since my visit , I just love that book.:-) The scrappy houses is just so right for your hous and the pumpkin wall hangings look fun Thanks again for a lovely day . Vicky
I love that you have flowers in the middle of your building site!
The halloween quilt is amazing.
OH my gosh you have been such a busy girl!
The houses look fantastic Karol-Ann and I like the idea of the quilting words...
Lovely post - found you via Jodie from Ric Rac. Your quilting is stunning! Jess
I love all your fall sewing crafts. I have some table runners half way finished...I just need to quilt them!
Hi Karol-Ann!I am delighted to chat with a fellow South African! I often visit Jodie's site (Vintagericrac) as I love her bags and out of the entire list on her site, I picked yours first! Weird? I have tried my hand at a little bit of quilting - a wall-hanging that is still not complete and a beautiful quilted bag for my Mom-in-Laws birtday. I am a scrapbooker and loves sewing. I recently started my own sewing blog and love the blog world. Great to "meet" you! Loraine Vorster, Johannesburg, South Africa
Super super cute stuff! Love the houses - they are much like my cottages.
Hi Karol-Ann! Thanks so much for visiting my site and leaving comments. The Amy Butler Weekender Bag is no joke! If I did not LOVE the fabric and the look of this one, I would have stopped long ago. But, we love fabric and getting creative with it, so we do these things anyway. I am sure you have had this love-hate relationship with a quilt or other project as well! I will come visiting again soon!
Lovely Halloween based quilt-works you have going here! 8-)
I really like the Log Cabin Tote! Very nice!
Happy stitchings!
Lovely scrappy houses and the other blocks also.
Kind regards,
Sonnja & Beertje Zonn
I hope the renovation goes quickly! A royal pain, but should be worth it.
Love those houses! Toni was my swap partner and sent me the cutest miniquilt with houses. I just love it!
Post a Comment