I owed Kate a block for our African blockswap so thought I would give this a go and promptly made 2. It's the first time I have ever done needleturn applique using freezer paper shapes. It's a nice method and less time consuming than my usual method of first basting each piece over paper, appliqueing the shapes, then cutting out part of the backing to remove the paper.
Here's the original block that I saw. I 'borrowed the image', but forget now the seller or any more details about the quilt...

She's cute. I only found the image as i was blogging this so it's a pity, I forgot to white the eyes and add the hair... (maybe next time!)
11 comments:
Cool block. I like yours better, even without the hair and eye whites! The fabric you have chosen for er dress just looks more "african" somehow. But maybe that is based on a false preconception as I have never been to Africa.
Late happy birthday to DH. I used to have to take my turn at "doing" mum's & tot's. There is always one that wants to try something a bit different! Your DS1 is obviously independent and determined. The rockets could be your activity next time....
It really is a cute block, and I like it with the African fabrics.
Very cool block. I love freezer paper applique too.
Looks great Karol-Ann - do we have a budding applique buff developing?
White eyes or not, she looks great.
That is a very beutidul quilt you've done! Good for You!
What a wonderful block!! Freezer paper is great, for reverse applique and for paper piecing!
Fabulous job; the quilt block is great! Applique is so much fun, no matter which style you choose.
Cool! I have never seen this block before. I'm loving it! She looks like a sweet mama.
I like your African Mama
Kind regards,
Sonnja & Beertje Zonn
What a fun block. I have some scrap fabric from Ghana. It was given to my friend by the local dressmaker. I might have to give one of these a go.
Post a Comment