Last time I was in a quilt shop in South Africa buying rose fabrics for my hexagon quilt I got chatting to the shop owner about hexagons and ended up going to the car to get 'my' hexagons to show her what I was doing...
"Oh, you do it like this" she said.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"You sew it in rows"
I imagine she was surprised because people often stitch hexagons in flower formation, but I don't, I just add each hexagon as I go along. Of course, now every time I read the children this story book I think of her words...
The Story of the Little Mole (who knew it was none of his business) by Werner Holzwarth & Wolf Erlbruch
The little mole searches to find out who has done their 'business' on his head and each animal replies:
"Me? No, how could I? I do it like this!" And promptly makes a poop to show him how they do it LOL
Well me? No, how could I? I do my hexagons like this! I do them in rows as I purposely don't want my hexagons to look like flowers...
Then the lady showed (and gave) me this...
It's very interesting. The hexagon is folded over a smaller hexagon with batting/wadding inside. So each hexagon once stitched is pretty much already quilted. I liked this idea, but it's too late for me now LOL
The first photo above shows, the current state of this project. The second photo above shows what I have presently in the car for those few stolen moments when I get a chance to sew. (This is usually Thursdays while the children swim with their Dad and I get to watch and do the changeover of kids into costumes and kids into dry clothes...)
In another bag, I have the pieces of fabric wonderful people send me and the papers...
For example, this week has been a great rose week as yesterday Jane sent me some roses and an empty box of chocolate. OK, it wasn't empty, but it is now (and it WAS Dee-vine!!!) LOL. Jane's roses are the second pile from the left. Kathie, a blogger I had not 'met' before last week, kindly sent me some roses this week too (Kathie's roses are 2ND from the right).
On the far right are the roses from Siobahn which I had previously neglected to photograph. Siobahn sent me a huge piece of the blue rose fabric and it's so lovely that it will definitely go towards a bag as well. On the far left are the bee-oot-iful roses from Jodie! I am planning to piece a back from the rose fabrics too and then perhaps return the favour and offer any leftover hexagons to anyone who would like to give them a go. But that will come later. In the meantime a big THANK YOU to all my friends who have sent me fabric. It does get used and stroked and one day when I'm old and grey I will look fondly on this quilt and remember the friendship and generosity of others and be grateful of it. In the meantime, however I will just do my quilt like this!
22 comments:
It is always fascinating to see the various ways that people do quilts. Yours is going to be beautiful. Have a great time with it.
PS. Alright who actually did poop on his head?
Well, I just love the way you do your hexagons. I admire that you are sticking to it. You will finish this!
Each time I look at this project progressing I love it more - most especially the clever way you're inserting your gorgeous paper pieced rose - Inspired!
Oh.. you sound like me. Every time I have a workshop or quilt club meeting, I say the same. I do it like this!! I love that you don’t make flowers of the hexagons. There are too many GFG quilts! LOL! Your rosegarden will be so beautiful with all those global fabrics!
The technique you’re talking about is one I will learn next February, during a workshop! Quilting hexagons as you go!!
It's beautiful Karol Ann.
Speaking of Roses, I have some I've been meaning to send to you, but I'll need your snail mail address, if you'll let me have it.
LOL ! One of my all time favourite books.
LOL...I have never read that book before, I must find it!!
This is just soo cool Karol-Ann, I think I would do it like you in rows, not in flowers as well.
Maybe I should do a similar hexagon quilt using sunflowers :)
Yours is coming along soo well!
Interesting! Almost all of the ladies in my (ex) guild here in SA do quilt as you go hexagons with backing and batting in place.
The big rose looks great amongst the hexagons.
It's looking fantastic! How will you put the panel in? Lucy x
You got me worried when you said the box was empty...then I read your next sentence and understood why it was empty! LOL Glad it was tasty!
I love hexagons too.
Like you I connected them as I went along on one of my quilts and I also made a flower garden.
I am sure there are several on my flicker page
Karol-Ann
Thank you for sharing the tip on sewing these hezagons. My very first quilt I made and it was in South Africa, was a hezagon quilt.
Millie
Karol-Ann wow your hexagons are amazing so much work...
Good morning K-A,
That is many hexagons!
Kind regards,
Beertje Zonn
I love the hexagons. On the banner of my blog I have the hexagon quilt my grandmother made for me when I was a young girl. I keep buying the paper templates and have quite a collection but haven't completed a project yet. I like your idea of adding the rose block along with rose fabrics - just beautiful. I want to see it when finished.
I love seeing how everyone does their hexigons. There are so many ways. I have that book too!
Your rose quilt is really stunning. It's just fascinating how you are putting it together, and that rose you made brings it all to life.
What about the backing for those hexagons that already have batting behind them? I don't understand how that works.
Your rose hexagons are a really neat idea and fabric from friends makes it extra special.
Your roses look gorgeous, and the non-flower way of joining them adds to the randomness of it all. This will be a lovely quilt.
Love the hexagons!
Hi there Karol Ann! I've often thought of the two gifts you sent me for our grandchildren. Now I know what I can send you as a very belated thank you! Please send me your address and I'll send you back some beautiful rose fabric!
Patti
Post a Comment