Sunday, 21 September 2008

Not all good news

I am grateful that I have met so many wonderful people first through quilting and now blogging. It never fails to amaze me how generous and thoughtful people can be. I hope I can be the same to my very special quilting friend who is going through such a tough time at the moment.


Anne, a wonderful blogger living in the idyllic Brittany countryside sent me some gorgeous fabrics and this wonderful sewing caddy. I'm not sure if that's it's technical name...



But as I'm using it for my hexagons, that's what I'll call it. Thank you Anne!



Sadly, another local quilt shop has closed it's doors. I had actually not been before the last day as it's not that local to me (about an hour away, just outside of Harrogate), but I decided to go on the last day just to see what I would be and had been missing. It was housed in a gorgeous converted barn...



I took this photo to include the hexagon quilt hanging on the stairwell and my little monsters who are not 'big' into quilting LOL

Such a shame Pennypot Patchwork has had to close it's doors, but I imagine there was just not enough support. At the cost of fabrics in local quilt shops here in the UK, it is difficult for us on budgets to support them especially when fabric can be purchased from the US for half the price including postage. I did buy a few FQ's of sale stock though as I felt, I'd driven all that way and it would be rude not to...



And as it was quite a drive, a gorgeous day and I had 2 wrigglies with me, I decided to stop at Bolton Abbey on the way back so that the boys could have a paddle in the stream.



They loved it and as it had been one of our first 'proper' sunny days all dreadful summer long we made the most of it.

12 comments:

Locket Pocket said...

It looks like you had a lovely trip out but what a shame that another patchwork shop has had to close down. Love your gift too! Lucy x

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love your sewing caddy - just gorgeous!

Susan said...

We had a local quilt shop close for good--she tried to give a second go but just couldn't make it happen. What a treat for your children...beautiful countryside.

Jo in TAS said...

Very sad to see a shop close, at least you got to see it before it did. Looks like the kids had fun paddling in the water!

Julie said...

I am afraid that more and more quilt shops here will start closing too. Everything is becoming so expensive and our salaries are not increasing. We have to feed and cloth our families first.

corry said...

Sounds like a nice trip you all had but I'm sorry to hear about the quiltshop.
On the photo it looks like someone took a bite out of the hexagon quilt (lol)!

loulee said...

It's a shame places have to close, but I'm with you on the pricing. Gotta shop around.

Unknown said...

that river bank looks so tempting - we fried on the touch-line watching Sarah - but at least it was better than watching in a force 8 gale and torrential rain!

dutchcomfort said...

I’m sure you will be a special thoughtful and generous friend to your quilting friend, because you just are!

Lovely sewing caddy and thanks for the picture of the hexagon quilt. It’s sad when quilt-shops have to close down. My local quiltshop is open for only 1 year now and the business is good. The workshops are sold out in a blink and most people love to buy fabrics they have seen and felt.

I guess your two rascals were rather dirty after the paddling party?

Clare said...

Quilt shops are closing their doors over here too. There was a really really good one in Perigueux which closed a few months ago to be replaced by a bedding shop of all things!!!!!!!!

I hardly every shop online (contributing to the carbon footprint), but I'm thinking it's going to be a necessity as more of these lovely shops close down.

Great pressies. Isn't Anne great.

Sarah said...

What a beautiful looking day. Boys would have loved that - it is amazing how simple fun can be for them.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

That's too bad about the quilt shop closing. I cant believe you can buy fabric here and ship cheaper. WOW that's amazing.