Wednesday, 10 September 2008

I want to lay me down in a bed of roses

I realise I am becoming a bit of an old rose lady! Especially as Andrea bought me some rose fabrics at the Great Northern Quiltshow at Harrogate.




Thanks so much Andrea. They will be absorbed into my rose quilt (just as your kind gifts for the boys have somehow been absorbed into the house LOL) ((And the lovely Sarah of ifonlyihadchocolate sent me some... chocolate(!) which has also been absorbed - so no photo! But it was yummy! Thanks Sarah!)

So what's the big plan with all these rose fabrics that my lovely friends send me??

Well, years ago my mother made a hexagon quilt from scraps and I just love it. I used to sit and try and find all the roses. So I decided to make my own, but with mainly rose fabrics. There are some leaves, some neutrals etc here and there to add a bit of variety, but it's mainly roses for me!

And now the current plan is to include my paper-pieced rose by Ula Lenz....




I laid the hexagon panel I've finished with the paper-pieced rose on my bed and then just sort of filled around it will loose hexagons...



Here's a close-up.



I think this is approximately the layout I'll go for, obviously I have a long way to completion as I want to make it about King-size!! But I see it as a sort of long term project that I'll pick up every now and again when I need to do some handwork :-)


On a family note, there are other people with other plans in this house too! My 'big' boy will be 4 at the end of the month.



He gets the John Deere catalogue out every now and again to remind us of his birthday hopes.

20 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Love your hexagon rose-project with the paper-pieced rose! That will be some awsome quilt Karol-Ann!!

Look at those two ‘boy’s enjoying the John Deer catalogue. I wonder who loves to read it best!?

Take care, hexagon rose girl!

Unknown said...

The rose will be beautiful in between the hexagon roses, as a symbol for what the quilt will stand for i.e. ROSES. It is nice that your "big" boy has dreams, if you don´t have them you have nothing.

elisepearson said...

What a beautiful rose quilt! Years ago I started a Hawaiian applique of roses, which I did as white roses on a red background, but I got stalled out after designing the border of "leaves" to applique around the outside. You've reminded me to pick that project up again...

Vicki W said...

That is going to be a wonderful quilt! Gotta love a boy who dreams of John Deere tractors!

Kristie said...

I love the hexagons and rose! That will be so beautiful!

My little one loves John Deeres too! He was out with hubby a while back and came home wearing a hat that said "My Daddy Drives A John Deere" I asked hubby..."Now why did you get him that?" He smiled real big and said "THEY ARE DELIVERING IT TOMORROW" I liked to have died!!!!!
Kristie

Toni said...

Karol-Ann, it's going to be soo GORGEOUS!!!!!! How beautiful is that!!

Roses aren't my thing :) but they fit you nicely!

OOoooo John Deer tractors!! Do you need some fabric to make a quilt for DS?

Linda said...

Karol-Ann,
Andrea had posted your 2 quilts that were at the Great Northern Quilt Show - Great job! They are beautiful!! I love the fabric she sent you - beautiful! Your paper-pieced rose is so lifelike and gorgeous! The layout looks so beautiful! Love all the fabrics!

Brenda said...

The quilt is going to be spectacular; have fun working on it! We need all the John Deer tractors this world can handle...my brother still has some of his.

Dionne said...

absolutely love your hexagon quilt. What a lot of work must have gone into it. Your hard work has paid off in spades!

Cheers,
Dionne

Unknown said...

I think your paper pieced rose will sit beautifully in the middle of all those hexagons - inspired!!!

As for DS1 - well a boy has to dream doesn't he? :o)

loulee said...

The little man looks so serious.

Love your roses.

Locket Pocket said...

Your quilt is going to look stunning! Especially with that amazing rose on it - I love the layout! And what a sweet photo of your little boy - do you think he will get what he is hoping for???? I'd LOVE a tractor!

The Calico Cat said...

I love how that rose looks in the hexagons!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Wow, you have been busy, love the pieced rose and the hexs. I have never done but a single block of hex's. Way too time consuming for me....someday though. Very excited to see this one finished.

jovaliquilts said...

That rose is stunning, and the quilt will be amazing! I like the idea of a long-term quilting project like that.

I live not far from John Deere headquarters, so we see a lot of them around here. Have you seen the John Deere fabric? My favorite use of it was in a small child's quilt I saw for sale at the local farmer's market -- it was made from John Deere fabric (all those tractors) and had lace around the edges! Quite a study in contrasts, but I guess they figure little farm girls like both lace and tractors.

Unknown said...

Oh my! Your paper-pieced rose is absolutely stunning! The hexagons around it will be beautiful. Great job!

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

That rose is superb!

Mary Johnson said...

Very pretty! It reminds me that I have some Hexagon flowers UFO that needs to be finished.

Rose Marie said...

What a unique idea! I wonder how your rose would look if it was placed in the center at an angle surrounded by the hexagons. Just a thought I had. I'm just itching to start a hexagon quilt and seeing what you've done is urging me on. Hope you feel better soon.

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh wow, that is amazing. I love the roses in the center. What a great idea. I'm loving the whole thing!