Thursday, 7 August 2008

The winner takes the fall

I have been meaning to blog the results of the Village Show, but I forgot ot take my camera to the show and somehow I've just been feeling really weird about the whole event...

I won 'Best Exhibit in Show' and a trophy which is currently being engraved with my name.



But not for my pie...



which came second out of 2!

And not for Ted, or my pincushions, or my knitting (which came 2nd again out of 2!) or my bag (which came 3rd!). No, I won 'best in show' for a painting! And another 'First' for a drawing!!

My little boy won a few prizes for his paintings too!


This has sent me into a little bit of self-doubt about my creativity and whether I should be sewing at all... Obvioulsy having a 'sewing room' and lots of fabric adds an extra guilt factor to any doubt I may have.

I bought myself a sketch book and some fabric paints yesterday (to cheer myself up) and thought wouldn't it be nice if I could combine my interests?


(the boys chose the stencils BTW! - I prefer free hand painting)

So I made these t-shirts for a birthday party for twin boys we're going to tomorrow..


Hope the recipients like them...

If not, my boys do!

24 comments:

Vicki W said...

Do what you love doing and don't sweat the rest! The shirts turned out really cute - what boy wouldn't love them?

Helen said...

A winner! I would love to win a trophy. Enjoy being creative, don't worry too much what others thinks of your creativity :)
I saw that you entered the Chookyblue's SSCS. Wouldn't it be funny if we become swap partners (lol). Have you started yet with your swap project?

jovaliquilts said...

The very worst thing about these shows is that people win and lose based on yet another person's opinion! Do what you love to do. You are obviously a very talented artist, and your sewing and quilting are so wonderful, don't let the fair get you down. (Illegitimi non carborundum, as we used to joke in Latin class.)

And those t-shirts are for a little boy to go wild over!

Ginger said...

Wow, congratulations on TWO prizes - even if not for things you were hoping would win.
I have a little boy that would love one of those t'shirts. Do you take orders through your Etsy shop?

Andrea said...

Don't you dare stop sewing - lol ! Most of us will perhaps never win a prize for our quilts but who cares. But very well done for the firsts. Are you going to show us the pictures ? Please xx

maria said...

The judges obviously didn't know what they were talking about (except when it comes to paintings)!
Don't stop the sewing.
Maria x

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I hope you will not stop quilting.

Jeanne said...

That's terrific! Congrats on the win.
You are a multi-talented gal.

Anonymous said...

Clever you i love the t-shirts I think you have hit a winner there as well as the paintings. i should say snap as I've won a trophy at Cartmel show for my little clown pop up toy which was rejected ay Holker show a couple of week ago . Its all down to Judges personal choice . You just keep sewing your fantastic quilts bags etc. t shirts a winner for Clapham next year Vicky C

Candace said...

Congratulations on all your awards. I would think that you do what you do for your pleasure, and for the happiness that it gives to others, and who cares what the judges think. It's nice to get a pat on the back, but their opinions are just their opinions. If you entered the same show another judge might have a different opinion. Don't let them spoil your fun, and deprive your friends and family of some beautiful gifts. I love the shirts you did. Those dinos are great. After seeing the shirts, I think that you can do whatever you set your mind to.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Well done on the win! I wouldn't worry too much as judging is subjective, it is more important that you like what you do. Your dinosaur T shirts are awesome! Perfect for boys.

Kate North said...

So, do we get to see a photo of the painting? And fab t-shirts, too...

Julie said...

I say, "If it feels good, do it!" LOL, and don't worry about those judges. Your stuff is great! I LOVE those shirts - so cute.

Anonymous said...

Well Done you! And stop trying to stuff yourself into a box...you are a creative and talented lady in everything you do...just be proud of that and stop worrying about the labels!

(ok, I'll get off my soap box)

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great t-shirt! Don't worry about the ribbon thing. Judging is so subjective. Personally I loved the little ladybug but if someone is afraid of insects - bam...no ribbon for you! Go figure!

PiecefulChaos said...

Obviously the painting judges were superior to the quilt judges! After looking at your Carol Doak blocks and the others on the yahoo group (thanks for the link btw) I had meant to comment or email you to tell you that I think you have such an eye for color! That translates into painting, quilting, or whatever else you want to do to express your creativity - so do what you enjoy doing when you want to do it - pies, teddies, quilts, painting - do it all!

Wendy said...

I'd love to see the winning entry. I wouldn't even think about not sewing, creativity comes in many forms. Any little boy is going to wear those shirts with a big smile.

Locket Pocket said...

How can you possibly doubt your sewing skills? That bear in particular is amazing! Don't listen to the silly people!!! Lucy x

Elsie Montgomery said...

When I go to a quilt show, the work done quilters who also have drawing and other artistic skills are so obvious! Take your time... you are "painting" in a different medium, but it takes a bit of practice to learn the techniques and be free to use them in ways that don't come out of a pattern or a book. Be patient - the results will show up.

(And if you ever get the opportunity, take Elizabeth Barton's class on design. She is the best at bringing out personal style and creativity and makes you feel as if you can do anything well!)

Happy Sunday!

Toni said...

First CONGRATS! That is a win no matter what category it was in! And don't beat yourself up. It's very hard to "judge" your creativity on a group of 2 or 3 competitors! You just need to find a bigger venue to compete in!! That pie I'm sure was just yummy and beautiful in person as it is in your picture!!!

GREAT shirts!! It's always a good thing to have wonderful supportive kids :)

Hugs hun!! You are a winner to me!

Jo in TAS said...

Just keep doing what you're doing! If you're enjoying it then that's all that matters!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Congrats on your win. The shirts are adorable. I could almost taste the pie. Wish you would post the african print string blocks.Or did I miss them?

Sarah said...

YAY you did really well. Oh yes you can combine both!!!! YOu can paint on blocks and then set the paint and use them in your quilts! The possibilities are endless! Oh I like the dinosaur shirt you made - good stuff.

Ruth's Place said...

Love the shirt! Now I see why you won a trophy for painting!