Friday, 1 August 2008

Garden Friends

I found some more entries for the Village show today - in the garden...

There's a pincushion section so I made LadyB:



And there's a section for handicraft not mentioned in any other section...
Ted has volunteered to go for me:


I made Ted quite some time ago, when I was recovering from a second bout of corrective surgery on my femur.

I broke my femur when I had a bicycle accident in Germany. An unsuccessful surgical procedure by an inexperienced doctor left me with a shorter, oddly angled leg! I had to wait 6 months after the initial botched surgery for the leg to be unpinned, the knee had to be operated on at the same time to correct the angle. 18 months later the knee plate was removed and the leg was lengthened at the top of the femur. After that second operation I spent some weeks recuperating at an othopaedic rehabilitation centre in in the Black Forest in Germany. My days were filled with physio, swimming, massage for pain relief etc and in the evenings you could do craft. I signed up for Teddy Bear making. I made Ted and then when I went home I made another bear for my friend's daughter, Skye. After that I made 2 more and then that was it... no more bears :-(

Kerry who gives teddy bear classes asked me to show Ted, and this week was quite fitting to remember making him as I saw a specialist yesterday about trying to relieve some of the pain I still feel in my leg. We shall see how things progress on that...


BTW My pie has just come out of the oven for tomorrow, I went a little OTT decorating it LOL - nerves I tell you!!

17 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Good luck at the fair!! You have some wonderful entries.

So sorry about your leg -- what a long haul that's been, and you still have pain. How awful for you!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Good luck with your pie entry! Your ladybug pincushion is super cute.

Ali Honey said...

Cute Ladybird - hope it has a fun time at the fair!

Brenda said...

Good luck at fair; you have some great enteries! Thank you for sharing, sorry you are in pain and I hope that relief can be found!

Unknown said...

Good luck tomorrow. How sad that your leg is still bothering you.

Helen said...

The teddy bear is so cute. To be truthful the ladybug too. But I like the teddy bear more :) And good luck with your pie entry.

Alison said...

Hi there. Yes I did get your sign up for two blocks for Aryn's quilt! Thank you again. Mailing date is Sept. 1st! Have a great weekend

dutchcomfort said...

That must have been an ugly painfull experience with your leg! I hope they can help to find some pain medication or therapy.

Your little zoo is lovely! Good luck at the Village show!!

Unknown said...

Good luck for all three entries - I shan't get a chance to check on your success for a couple of weeks though :o)

keslyn said...

Your Teddy Bear is so very cute, I am sure it is about time you made him a friend, I know a shop where they give classes LOL, pity you can't just pop over for one.
Good luck,
Kerry

Locket Pocket said...

Your bear is so gorgeous but what a dreadful time you have had with your leg - I hope the doctors can alleviate the pain. Lucy x

Kim said...

I have a friend who lived and attended school in the Black Forest. Sounds like a dark and frightening place if you happen to be there to deal with pain and recovery. I'm sorry to hear that you are still dealing with pain in your leg. Your Teddy is wonderful though and must be very dear to you. Lady Bug is cute too, :) Let me know how the pie event turns out!

Jo in TAS said...

Did you win??????
I reckon they're gorgeous but then I love teddies and pincushions!

Toni said...

I love the little lady bug!!

And Ted is cute too! I never got into the doll making part of sewing, maybe someday you can instruct me! :)

How did the pie do?? Do we get to see pictures?

Alison said...

Karol Ann, I am not sure if I got back to you about making bug blocks for Aryn's quilt. Thank you that would be great. I look forward to seeing your two blocks soon.

Sarah said...

Oh the Ladybug is SO CUTE... and of course Teddy : ) Good luck at the fair!

Ruth's Place said...

Ted is so cute!! How did you go with the pie?