In my mind I have 'written' so many blog posts,
but actually typing up the words is just so much harder...
I wanted to thank everyone who has been so kind,
and your words have been some comfort because
when my Father died I was told 2 things.
1. You are only crying for yourself, so stop it.
and
2. We don't want to hear about it, ok?!
For anyone who doesn't want to hear about it, that's fine,
but if you don't want to hear about it or see my tears, just move along,
it's my blog and I am trying to deal with my family's loss right now....
On the 28th of December my Mother arrived from South Africa
to spend Christmas and 5 weeks with us.
A few days later after an evening of knitting together on the sofa,
she went to bed in a very cheery mood,
reminding me to wake her the next morning.
A few minutes later I heard someone call out.
When I went to her (our) bedroom
she did not look good.
We immediately phoned the emergency services,
and I held on to Mom while she tried to get comfortable.
For a few seconds I thought I might have overreacted
by getting my husband to call for an ambulance,
but then all of a sudden she was gone.
We were instructed to perform CPR on her,
but I just knew she was gone.
I ran out to get the ambulancemen in
and they tried and tried for ages,
but to no avail.
The shock, the sadness, the unbelievable disappointment
has been very hard to bear these last few weeks.
Mom was cremated and I flew with her ashes back
to South Africa for a Memorial service
with some family and friends.
It was all so rushed,
everything so unexpected.
I am still struggling to sleep,
still feeling panicked and stressed,
still trying to remember the good and forget that awful night
and so I have been sewing again.
I had selected a few fabrics to do Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt
before Mom died, but changed my mind about doing it...
then when I could find no peace, I started to sew...
and sew and sew and sew...
I always thought my Mother was constantly criticizing me
and I would tease her about her constant 'helpful hints and tips'.
It was only in the last few years that I'd realised
that she wasn't trying to pull me down, but help me up.
My harshest critic had been my biggest ally
and I miss her so much.

32 comments:
Sending my sympathy from Norway. Nobody should tell you how and hiw long to grieve. That is a very personal hard way to adjust. I was 36 when my mother died and I still miss her - 26 years later. The healing of quilting, the meditative repeating brings peace to my soul. Big hugs
Brigitte Baierl
(We met at Bonnie Hunters class in Schönaich)
Sending lots of hugs from Australia. Never apologise for how you feel, we all need to grieve in our own time.
Just remember to smile and focus on the good times.
Hugs Deb xo
Oh, Karol-Ann, I am SO sorry for your loss, and the sudden and frightening way in which it occurred. That would be difficult to deal with the lingering memory of that night, along with the stark reality of coping with your Mom's passing. I am also sorry for the things your were told when your Father died. No one should have to hear those words when they are grieving!
To try and find a positive in all of this, you were able to be with your Mom in the end and offer her your comfort and companionship.
I'm glad you are finding a cathartic effect in your quilting. Hugs and prayers for you--Janet O.
Awww....you poor dear! I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers to ease your pain and give you some comfort. BTW...you cry and talk about it all that you want, we don't mind at all. I do believe that it is part of the healing process.
Kristie
I've yet to lose a parent, so I can only imagine the enormity of your grief, but please know I am sending you many well-wishes and many prayers. Sew away, and if it helps you to blog about your grief, I'm here to read.
What a terrible thing for you to have to cope with. I'm glad you were with your Mom when she passed. Or, anyway, that's how I feel about it. I was with my father and my Aunt, who was a second mother to me, when they passed and this has always made me feel better, personally. I don't want anyone that I love to die alone.
I'm so sorry that you don't have better support during your grieving process. I hope that you will find at least one person who is more understanding and can help you through this painful process. But, yes keeping crazy busy is a completely normal way to cope with tragedy and loss :)
Everybody deals with grief in their own way, but there are some normal stages for grief to go through. It might help you to read about it some day or go to a counselor who can help you with understanding the process.Death is natural and inevitable but it is never easy for us who are left behind. I hope you can find at least one friend who can understand and support you. Please feel free to write me if you want to. I'm not a counselor at all but I at least realize you have the right to feel as you feel. Sorry I can't help more. Magistra13 at yahoo dot com
Beth
So sorry for your loss, and the harshness of the sudden way in which your mum died. I hope you have a peaceful January, with much therapeutic sewing.
How heartbreaking! I did a lot of sewing when my dad passed away. I sewed and reflected on him and his influence in my life. I also had plenty of tears, and experienced the pain of loss. I'm shocked anyone would tell you to "get over it". Gosh how insensitive!!!
God bless you and your family in this time!
hugs dear , i lost mine 10 years ago and still geieve
My heart goes out to you, it is terrible to have to cope with such a loss in such circumstances... and how unsensitive of people to tell you what you've been told after your father's death. Shame on them.
Quilting is very therapeutic in this respect and I hope you will feel more peaceful very soon.
Sending hugs my friend. You can only keep breathing and put one foot in front of the other, your grief will take as long as it takes. I hope your family is holding you tight and helping you keep going. X
P.s. Your Mum knows how good sewing is for easing the mind, I think it's a great healer. I have being sewing too, and I thought I shouldn't be when Dad had just died, but it's how I'm working through the sadness.
I am so sorry about your Mum's death, so so unexpected. It is absolutely no consolation but she was here, with you for at least a few days and she will always be looking over your shoulder xxxx
Again with lots of hugs, sweetie. I only met your mum the one time, but we did have a lovely evening, didn't we! Wish I was closer so I could support you more in person. xx
I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing, It must have been an unbelievable shock. I pray for God's comfort for you and your family.
Karol-Ann, perhaps it was meant to be that she was with you. You didn't have to get this news in a phone call from South Africa. In the grand scheme of things her being with you was a gift. The sorrow is very real and deep and I send hugs.
So sorry to hear you didn’t have a chance to grieve your Father’s dead. I hope you will be able to take all the time you need to grieve about your Mum’s death. We all grieve in a different way and it takes as long as it takes. Sewing and quilting can be soothing and comforting. I hope your memories about your Mum and sharing a love for a wonderful craft will help you through this difficult time.
Hugs))
So glad to hear you have found comfort in sewing. When my daughter was in the depths of clinical depression, I found sewing was the perfect way to give my brain a rest from the thoughts which were going round and round in it. Be kind to yourself and make time for grieving.
I'm so, so sorry for your loss, and am sending you hugs and prayers. Hold on to the memories of your parents, and cry and grieve all you want. Glad that you are sewing!
I lost my mum two years ago. We had time to say goodbye but it was still awful and I used to keep going over and over her last week every night as I lie awake - again! But the memories of your terrible night will pass, eventually, and now I remember the better times, the fun times and her funny ways that I miss so much. So now I can remember 'Well Mum' and not 'Poorly Mum'. I hope that you'll soon be able to remember your Well Mum. I don't think we'll ever stop missing them though. I long to pick up the phone and have a chat with her...
Sending you a very big hug. Sewing is a great meditative way to visit all of the great memories that you have of your Mom.
So sorry to hear how traumatic it was for you. I agree, your Mum was meant to be here with you. Also, no one has the right to say how you should feel, and I for one don't mind at all you putting about this on your blog. It is YOUR blog. As I said before, I promise it will get easier, but it will take time. Hugs. Bev x
you blog what you want........it was so sudden and unexpected.........and required leaving your family to head back to her home.........all big experiences...........keep sewing my friend and remember the good times..........
I'm glad that you've written the post and been able to share this. I want to send you many, many hugs.
How awful to lose you mum so suddenly like that - really shocking for you all. Its going to take a while for you to get used to it, and even longer for it to stop hurting, you poor thing. Your comfort is that she didn't have an extended illness to deal with and that she was with people she loved and who loved her - they count for a lot.
Sewing your way through it sounds like a great idea.
Sending you lots of love.....
Sendin all my love from the sunny rather breezy Cape Verde Islands x x x x love you lots and lots x x x x
Karol-Ann I am so sorry for your loss. It is wonderful that you can write about your grief. Take all the time you need to heal. Sewing is therapeutic your quilts are all very lovely. So good you and your Mum got to spend some good times right before and were together enjoying each other. - Dorothea
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I know how you feel. I pray that the Lord will comfort you and your family during this time. Sending you hugs. love Ailsa
Thinking of you at this sad time.
My heart sank when I read this. Please do feel free to share your tears and sorrow all you want for as long as you want, we understand grief here. I am sorry for your loss and the distress it brings, but I'm glad you were with your mother and were able to comfort her in those last moments. Here's a hug. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Stitch lots of lovely and colorful quilts in her memory, it'll be good therapy.
I am so sorry for your loss. To have her passing be so unexpected makes it all the harder. It's good you're sewing, and it's good you're blogging and writing about your thoughts and feelings. From the comments, I think you have a host of thoughtful and supporting blogging friends. Take care.
Oh Karol-Ann, I'm so sorry to read your news and the details of the good and the bad of that one night. What a sad time for you and your family. Please know I'm keeping you in my thoughts and if you need anything...even just to write an email to vent, then know I am here for you. ((hugs))
Oh, no. I am so, so terribly sorry about the loss of your mother. Don't ever let anyone tell you those two things with any validity. Maybe we are really crying for ourselves, but it's a very real, visceral loss that needs crying over!!! And in terms of nobody wanting to hear it - you vent any time you need in your own places (and that included any blog, Facebook, etc., spaces that you need to use). It's terribly painful to lose our parents, and as long as we're not neglecting small children of our own, we can cry all we want. I'm sending hugs to you from one woman who knows what it's like to another in pain. {{{{ }}}}
Post a Comment