Monday, 6 January 2014

Like Sudoku, but not quite

Our sofa isn't normally so laden with quilts,
but I am sewing the binding down on a king size quilt
that got plopped on the sofa on top of another quilt for some reason....
 and when I came back to it,
a certain furry person had made herself very comfortable!

*****

Story Time Stars by Bonnie Hunter:
This is the top so far for my friend's first grandchild.
I'm loving the colours and the spots and stars.
The fact that putting it together was like playing Soduku
was not so easy for my little brain!
In the end I had to call in reinforcements.

There are 16 blocks. Each centre is repeated twice. 
There are 4 colours for the stars, 
but each block only uses a combination of 3 of the colours...
and that's where it all started getting confusing for me.
After about an hour and a half of shuffling blocks around we were happy
(a layout normally only takes me a few minutes!)

Now for the borders which are already cut
and thankfully require no more brain strain :o)

***
On another note,
I had to go around to a friend in the village
to borrow some pins to put this quilt together.
It was still early, but very dark
as our village has no street lights...
As I walked home just with my torch,
I thought to myself that I have probably watched
far too many of these murder stories 
set in quaint English villages for my liking!!!

6 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

making my brain hurt just thinking about it!! lol well done for getting it all together x I know what you mean .. we have low level street lights and they go OFF when they reach a certain temperature!! when its early am and a holiday (New Years day) and me and the dogs seem to be the only idiots out .. the sound of footsteps JUST as the light goes out is VERY worrying!! lol x we both survived the experience .. so maybe we read the same books and watch the same Tv!!! lol x

Janet O. said...

Love the cozy cat!

Story Time Stars is a great pattern for a baby quilt I made a miniature 4-block version, I loved it so much.

Oh, I got a chuckle out of your last paragraph. I've watched a bunch of those myself, and I probably would have been feeling the same. : )

Vicki W said...

What a cute baby quilt and a very happy kitty!

Katie Z. said...

I might have given up organizing the blocks! Good for you for sticking to it that long.

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Beverley said...

I take it you mean Midsomer Murders?? Love it, if 2 aren't dead by 8.30pm, we are disappointed!! Lovely quilts by the way. :-)

Anonymous said...

I like that first picture...such a good idea!! :o)