Sunday, 26 January 2014

Amazing What You Find...

... when you tidy your studio!
This book called 'Needlework Economies'
is an absolute gem:

Very old...

Re-sold at Foyles in London...

and in it's day, perhaps very useful,

if say you needed new underwear:

Or you were going to mend a hole in your stockings (What!!)

Mending your man's shirt would have come in handy then!?!:

And you and your friend
could get a measure of each other:

A photo shows 'a girl wearing the frock she made'.
She must have been very proud....

The back has an advert for Fry's Cocoa
and a slogan 'The Pursuit of Health'.
Cocoa? Health?
 Can't be high up on the healthy lifestyle scale. Can it? ;o)

6 comments:

Carole said...

Oh yes it can ! Love that back cover.
Well the rest is not bad either, I love such forrays into times past.

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great book! Imagine living in the days you had to make your own clothing and darn all your stockings....

Nancy said...

Hey, I think of chocolate as a vegetable! I like cold for breakfast but I'm all for a cup of hot cocoa in the evening.

I love your book. It would be fun to look through the whole thing.

Plum Cox said...

Please don't say that you think cocoa ISN'T healthy? ;-) I'm sure that everything I've read says that cocoa is fine, it's just when you add fat and sugar that things go downhill.....hence I always eat plenty of dark chocolate (um, but perhaps I wouldn't be a great advert for good health!).
Love the pictures and ideas in this book - it looks fab! I have cookery books that are equally 'useful' with tips on how to present food to invalids and that sort of thing.
Thanks for sharing!

Lynda said...

I love these old books, and while they have some weird stuff in them, sometimes they have some good bits and pieces.

Janet O. said...

I love books from this era and I have a few myself. My favorite is a Compendium of Manners.
So I will send all of my mending your way, since you have clear instructions there on how to do it all! *LOL*