Wednesday, 23 January 2013

First 2013 Finish: Rose Hexagon Quilt

I finished this quilt quite a few days ago,
but the weather wasn't playing ball
to get a good photo.
As I was impatient to finally get it into use
 I decided I'd just take a snow photo!

 So at last, my rose hexagon quilt
with an Ula Lenz Foundation-pieced Rose...


... and a scalloped border is finished!!


I will definitely scallop some edges again -
a lot of work and a jiggle to get it cut out,
but so so worth it I think!

 The backing was pieced from leftover rose fabrics
and a larger piece of fabric cut into strips...

 The strips actually run horizontally,
but as it's such a large quilt it was difficult
to get it to hang nicely over the fence...


There was quite a lot of powdery snow on the quilt
after the photos so I gave it a quick wash and tumble dry
and it came out all soft and snuggly and warm!
So it's on our bed and I love it!!
*****
The sheep ran off when I came to take my photos!
Funny how fluffy white sheep turn brown when there's snow ;)

23 comments:

Birgit-Patch said...

Ohh Karol-Ann, der ist so wunderwunderschön!!!

Janet O. said...

Ah, what a masterpiece!! You have got to feel great about this finish!
I love seeing your quilt artfully arranged in the snow. Should be on a calender or something.
So true about sheep and their color--they certainly are not a camouflage animal. : )

Ann-Mari said...

Really a fiest for the eye. And the snow and winterlight makes it look even more beautiful. Well done.

Carole said...

Good job, the border graces the quilt, and my is it gorgeous !! Congrats on such a piece, I bet your whole room is transformed.
Love the sheep... I was wondering if they were brown all the time, funny that their colour should change !

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, it's beautiful! I think I first "met" you when you were collecting fabrics for this quilt. I know you are happy to have it done. The scalloped border is the perfect finish.

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, it's beautiful! I think I first "met" you when you were collecting fabrics for this quilt. I know you are happy to have it done. The scalloped border is the perfect finish.

dutchcomfort said...

Wow Karol-Ann, such a beautiful quilt with the scalloped border and the backing is a quilt in itself! Congratulations on a wonderful finish!!

So fun to compare with the photo of the finished top in the right sidebar of your blog, with the green grass and the cows!

Grit's Life said...

Wonderful. Your quilt is so fantastic. And in the snow looks so good.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! Congratulations on a great finish!

LOL about the sheep...how odd!?

Joyce said...

Only one word for it - SUPERB!!!!
V best wishes
Joyce (no blog)

PS My charm quilt still a WIP but progressing. The 'quilt as you go' is now all gone and it just (just!) needs joining together and binding.

Unknown said...

SO SO SO GORGEOUS!!! - the pieced rose is stunning - the hexies set it off a treat - the scalloped border is a perfect foil for it and then the backing just finishes it all off - MAGNIFIQUE!!!! If you ever get tired of it I'm claiming front place in the queue to give it a home

Kate North said...

Definitely worth the effort of the scalloped border - looks great on it. Next time I visit, I shall play "hunt my rose fabric" :)

quilthexle said...

What a WONDERFUL quilt ! I love how you put the rose into your design. Great finish - congratulation !!

Pascale said...

I follow your blog all the time Karol Ann but don't comment every visit. This is an exceptional quilt that I am happy to have followed over the year(S?). It was well worth the effort, beautiful and to be enjoyed for many years to come.
Congratulations to you.

Cath said...

what a beautiful quilt. looks very picturesque in the snow!
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Plum Cox said...

Fab, fab, fab! It really is beautiful - you must be so proud of it! Lovely sewing, lovely scallops! What a great finish for your first of the year.

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Wow - just gorgeous! Your photos in the snow are just stunning. Congratulations on an amazing finish.

ruthsplace said...

The quilt is amazing, and I love the shot of the quilt in the snow.

Rose Marie said...

Oh my, it is gorgeous!

jovaliquilts said...

Absolutely fantastic!! Totally love it, and the snow photos are awesome. Take some again in spring, the contrast will be wonderful.

Deb R said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Keep warm, our days are at 35+ deg hot!

YankeeQuilter said...

It looks wonderful!!!! And great photos too...

Unknown said...

It is awesome. I need your help to finish my EPP quilt, how you put the borders on :)