I am at a loss as to what to do wth the 'Monster'!
I was supposed to be resting today, but with the sun shining at last
and resting being the most boring thing to do on a sunny day...
I got up and snuck into the garden to photograph the Monster Quilt.
DH caught me and so came over to help me.
It is currently in 5 sections.
4 quarters have been sewn together and then there are 4 loose quarters.
As we were laying it out he whispered:
4 quarters have been sewn together and then there are 4 loose quarters.
As we were laying it out he whispered:
'I don't really like it.'
The thing is doing anything with it is going to be a lot of work
and I don't really like it either....
But I sort of feel duty-bound to fix/finish it...
I was thinking of taking it back in to be a proper Lone Star,
which would involve a LOT of 'reverse sewing' (unpicking) which I hate hate hate!
I'm also concerned that the seams are fragile after 20 years
and because the papers have been removed it may prove difficult
to get the setting squares in or applique the edges to a background...
On the plus side, the wedges that would come out could be used for a smaller quilt...
(2 monsters from one LOL)
The initial idea of squaring it up with green would just make it bigger and bigger
and I don't know if they even make beds as big as this quilt top already is!!!
There's nothing like getting a skeleton OUT of your closet!
But I don't think DH will want it on the bed LOL
Any suggestions/advice gratefully received!
19 comments:
D'you know looking at this I'd be tempted to do something completely different with it - i'd take out the rotary cutter, press each section flat and cut out some random squares at say 8.5" or 6.5" not worrying where the diamond patches lay - then I'd join them together with a contrasting set of sashing and cornerstones. At that rate you may get 3 or 4 quilts from it ;P
Working on a quilt requires at least love for the fabrics or the pattern.
....Can’t you tell your Mom that this is not the time for you to decide on how to finish the quilt (you could be suffering from hormonal indecision...) and that you need to rethink how to tackle the Monters?
You see, I’m of no use...!
Oh sweet girl. I don`t envy you figuring out this one.
You are asking for advice.
Here is mine: Turn it in to a lone star quilt. To do so call in a couple of sewing-friends over a weekend and get help! Then have your husband cook for you.
Wishing you good luck:-)
I quite favour Anne's idea. Make something you actually like out of 'The Monster'.
Could be that you simply need to fold the quilt sections very neatly, bag it up and send it back home with Mom. Wash your hands of it. Seriously, there are times when you cannot and should not make another quilter's trouble your own...even if it's your dear mum. I know what I speak of...trust me. :o)
Anne has the same idea I had--cut it up, sash it, and have a quaint quilt rather that a monster that will never work.
Don't feel duty bound to finish a mill-stone quilt.
Cut it up, use it up, and get it out of the closet.
Sash it with navy or red.
I vote for Anne's suggestion. There are many places in the states that you can donate your quilts to - and I'm sure you have them in your country too. Cut up what you have - alternate the squares with coordinating fabric squares or sashings and bless some children's hospital or homeless shelter with the results. Doing something kind for others may balance out the guilt for cutting something up.
I'd vote for Anne's idea, or the Lone Star, or Kim's idea. You don't need to be expending energy right now on something that isn't necessary or doesn't lift you.
Since you don't love it you should not spend too much time on it. I like Ann's idea. I'd consider sewing those sections together just like they are arranged on the grass, send it out to be quilted to death and make it into an octagonal tablecloth.....if you happen to have a round table. I wouldn't be inclined to spent a ton of time on it.
I agree with the suggestion to choose a size block you want to work with and cut the monster up into that size/shape block and make a new quilt top.
Another suggestion: make a drawing of the monster or replicate it on graph paper. Then see if you can find a way to cut it up and repiece it into something you like better and is more manageable. This might be a better way to go right now instead of wrestling with the quilt itself. Just play with the paper, etc... until you figure something out.
Good luck!
A new term...a mill-stone quilt!
I'm with Anne...a bottle of sizing, a rotary cutter and some fun fall fabrics to use as alternate blocks and this could be done in no time! Once again wish I was closer....
On your blog you say that you have two young boys..... to me it looks like the most wonderful native American tent.. i would sew it with a slit to the center which i would make the door. Use a heavy fabric as the backing and do lots of simple quilting to stabilize it. It will not matter if it is flat as you will want some overlap. It may not last for ever but your son's will never forget it.
On your blog you say that you have young sons. To me it looks like the most wonderful play tent.I would sew it together with a slit to the centre as the door. Use a heavier than normal backing and lots of quilting for stability. It will not matter if it is flat or not any over lap. This will mean it may not last forever - except in your son's memories for a lifetime.
I love Anne's suggestion! Here's another...sew it together and then quilt it and then cut it up into bag pieces...It would make a fabulous duffle bag.
As a South African gran-to-be-soon-to-land-in-England-for-the-event, I've been following your blog for a while with interest as you can imagine. If I were your mom, I'd be sort of hurt to read some of the suggestions made. Sally's fits the bill best in my opinion. Those stitches may be old, but a lot of effort and time was spent in putting it together, and the thought of it being cut up willy-nilly (unless your Mom hates it anyway!) seems disrespectful. So - re-shape it, don't re-make it, is my recommendation. ....Margaret
Be honest with your mom and tell her that you just don't know how to salvage it and go from there. I like the lone star idea, if it is possible and cutting it up may make a beautiful quilt, but not if she isn't on board. Let her decide. If you made the lodestar, you could cut the other pieces into blocks and perhaps that wouldn't be like murdering the quilt, but still not give you two monsters. Good luck!
I don't know what day they empty your bin but I think you ought to make sure it is in it for the next collection. It is hideous and it is not going to look great whatever you do with it.
Just let it go!!!!!
Best
Joyce F
If it were mine, I'd put all the sections together and pull a semi - Eleanor Burns quick turn method on it. First, square up each side, sort octogon style. Layer a square backing on it (make sure it's bigger by about 4 inches all the way around), right sides togehter, then layer a batting (same size as the backing) on top, stitch around the edges of the top leaving a 10 inch hole for turning, trim the backing and batting to match the sides and then turn it inside out. Quilt it lightly, sew the opening closed and call it good. There's no rule that says quilts have to be rectangles or squares. I would then put a white cotton blanket on my bed and lay the star over the blanket in the center. At least it'll be a quilt and make a beautiful display.
Hello Karol Ann, maybe you could just continue to go back to the star shape, put some squares in the corners, and triangles on the sides. Do some simple quilting, meandering with the machine, and it would be finished quickly. Don't spend too much time if you don't like it.
Post a Comment