Sunday, 8 May 2011

Sewing Companion

Yesterday I got out of bed and said to my darling husband that I just had to sew today. The past few weeks I have been very low on energy and inspiration, but I had a piece of novelty fabric in pink that I thought would make a nice quilt for a friend's little girl...


I cleared the kitchen table, set up my cutting mat, rotary cutter and rulers and started to cut this large print into what I thought was usable strips....



I cut other solid pinks to go with the large print, but because my novelty print was odd sizes (6.75" and 5.25" to accomodate the design) I suddenly lost my way with it..



Frustrated and desperate to sew something, anything, I grabbed a pile of strings and random strips and sewed a few blocks...



Last night as I was clearing away and cutting solid squares so that I could double my string blocks, I had company...



Lovely purry cat company!

9 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Purry cat company is the best there is! I hope your energy and inspiration level will rise!

May Britt said...

She is a real quilt cat. Just wait until she grabs a piece of fabric and run with it.....like Rusken does :)

Clare said...

Adorable! Have I missed something. Is it yours?

Glad you got some sewing in. I'm having severe withdrawal symptoms due to a kitten invasion in the sewing room.

Plum Cox said...

Cute cat! Lovely string blocks!
If your strips are all 'width of the fabric' you can always make a simple strippy quilt, just arranging the strips in a pleasing formation (either formal pattern or random, your choice). You can even sew them over the wadding and backing using 'stitch and flip' to end up with a ready quilted small quilt..... Good luck, whatever you choose to do with them!

Carole said...

So nice to have company at the sewing machine... and what's more, company that doesn't say "Mummy..." or ask "silly" questions every other minute. Yes, I'm cranky because I couldn't sew to my heart's content, and the week-end flew by too fast ! BUT : the garden is neat now. NEAT !

jovaliquilts said...

They say when life gives you lemons, make lemonade ... or when fabrics don't fit, make string quilts!

YankeeQuilter said...

Your cat is beautiful...looks right at home with fabric!

Sometimes when my energy is low string blocks or crazyquilt blocks are just right...sewinging without stress....

take care!

~Niki~ said...

~sweet kitty. so glad I just found your sweet blog~I'm having 2 giveaways now and very few have signed up. Wanted to let you know about them!
butternut street

Unknown said...

It looks like she is keeping you company all the time, just like my dog does :)