Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Onion Marmalade

I was going to make this Wordless Wednesday, or if I'd posted it yesterday it could have been Tasty Tuesday, the day before that could have been Marmalade Monday (think the vinegar fumes have gotten to me LOL), but anyway I have been making more of this great recipe and it needs words, in fact it needs the recipe!:




RED ONION MARMALADE WITH BALSAMIC VINEGAR

Ingredients
Makes about 600g

2 large red onions (about 550g) thinly sliced
120g brown sugar
125 ml red wine vinegar
50ml (about 3 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper

Method
In a large, non reactive saucepan, combine the red onions and 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar and cook over moderate heat for about 25 mins or until the onions begin to caramalise.
Stir in the vinegar and the rest of the sugar, increase the heat and stir often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper and pot in sterilised jars.
Keeps for 3 months.

You can get the original recipe here.
Courtesy of pickleandpreserve.co.uk

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the vinegar has gotten to you! LOL You crack me up!

Looks delicious! What do you serve it up with?

Fran said...

Sounds lovely! If you weren't 200 miles up the M1 I'd swap you for a jar of our recently made orange and lemon marmalade!

Ben said...

Nice labels!
How does it taste with juniper in?
I have loads left over from a bag I bought when making quince chutney and need to use them up...

Toni said...

YUM YUM!! I so can taste this on pork chops right now! I love your labels!

sewkalico said...

The juniper is quite subtle as I only throw in a tablespoon of dried berries.
Mostly, I just make the original recipe with added thyme (I love thyme and it's the only herb that seems to survive in our garden no matter the weather!)
This month I have made 3 batches, the last 2 using leftover red wine instead of red wine vinegar. You can taste the difference, but it's still delicious. I also like to add a bit of fresh chilli if I have any which is very yum (if you like chillis).
Basically this is an easy recipe and open to all sorts of deviations.
It's great with cheese, sausages or served up in homemade goats cheese and red onion tarts!!

jovaliquilts said...

I have a similar recipe and I must say, this combination is to die for! I love it! While canning it is a good idea, I eat it so fast it's not necessary!

Pinktulip said...

I'm no a onion, or marmalade, fan, but my DH would LOVE this. Maybe I will make an effort for him. Where do you get time to make marmalade?!

dutch sisters said...

I'm going to save your recipe, It looks great! I love label too!

Mad about Craft said...

I'm going to have a go at this, I love onion marmalade

Kim said...

Sounds delicious, but I am wondering how you serve it up, too?