A friend I studied with in South Africa once said to me that she never got homesick unless the sun was shining. And it's true. When the sun shines I miss my South African family and friends very very much...
In England you find things like this bench at the side of the road...

And in Africa you can find things like this by the side of the road...

I bought this sewing person in Franschhoek from a vendor who had a little stall on the roadside.

His head, arms, legs, hand crank and scissors are made in a darker wood to the rest of the body, sewing machine, seat and table. The darker wood bits appear to have been glued on.

I love the ethnic fabric that he is 'sewing' and the bit of string representing the thread.

I do love things that you can sometimes be lucky enough to see at the roadside.
4 comments:
That sewing person from SA is just wonderful! Hope your aren't feeling homesick?
Ok, that's it, I'm totally jealous! I love love love that sewing carving! Oh my gosh! But I'm all about stuff like this. I am sorry you are homesick, I can imagine you would be. There is no real remedy for it except to look around you and find something to make you smile! I grew up all over the US and lately I've been craving the beach so badly. I have not been near the ocean in years. To smell that salty air...I can relate. Nichole/The Happy Wren
Wow, everything is green, here everything is grey and wet! The womand and the sewing machine is a very special piece, how big is it?
What a lovely little wooden ornament for your sewing room! I adore the African Art, but not the touristy things, rather the unique items such as yours. I have a whole room decorated in African things, from sisal rugs to candles to throws. I collect unique African items and display it in this room. Needless to say, no little kids are allowed in this room. Adults only.
Lately South Africa has felt more like the UK. There has been days, sometimes almost weeks, with just rain and no sunshine. I get so depressed if I do not see the sun for a few days! I can finally sympathize with people living in places where the sun is seldom seen.
Post a Comment