I was told that if I visited the next day I would be able to see the ladies and the technique in person. Of course, I made it back the next day! Thursdays are when assignments are given out and finished items are brought back to be made into bags, pencil cases, cushions, ottomans etc etc.
The boys and I braved the steep stairs and entered a wonderland of colour and activity!
Adri, showed me their new laptop bag
as well as this gorgeous ottoman.
Of course, I managed to spend a few $$$$$ in the shop! It was well worth the visit!
*Mielie is the South African word for sweetcorn. The rug-hooking technique used resembles this vegetable and makes it a very suitable name for these gorgeous bags.
Next to the workshop and shop is a great place for a cup of coffee especially if you need to let the kids run off that energy.
11 comments:
Quilting from the other side of the world, it is so exiting to see how small the world sometimes are:) Your children are adorable.
Wow, those are gorgeous!
I noticed these bags before, they are awesome!
What fabulous bags! Thanks for sharing how they were made.
I have been in love with these Mielie bags ever since I saw an article in a South African magazine. Then I saw them at the airport in April and nearly died when I saw the price! I walked past several times waiting for my flight and debated, but in the end did not buy it. Maybe it will go on my Xmas list...
These ladies are so talented! The bags are really fabulous but I can buy plenty of fabric with that money!
I could just rest there all day watching those ladies work on their craft. Such a nice story - such talented women!
PS: If I were there I would most certainly have bought one of their bags - totally no doubt. :o)
The bags are awesome.
Wow, those bags are really cool! And I love the ottoman.
The bag is so beautyful!! And I like all the pictures and your story!
Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures. I love the bags and all the African beauty!
Post a Comment