So why did I decide to wash a quilt that I have been frightened of washing for 5 years, a few days before when I was running out of 'before' time? I have no idea, but I did. 5 years ago, I knocked over a cup of tea onto this quilt.
I emailed Birgit for help. Loads of advice was given, but I was petrified. Clearly there was a problem with one of the reds in the quilt. On Tuesday, I bought some Oxi-action colour catcher sheets and put 4 in the wash with the quilt. The sheets turned bright pink and the quilt was clean. BUT as the quilt started to dry, another of the reds used in the backing was bleeding through the cream fabrics on the front. Horrors!!! I shoved the quilt back in the washing machine before it had completely dried with more colour catcher doodas. Out came the red again. Then I ran a short wash cycle with the Synthrapol Birgit had sent me all those years ago. The quilt is almost dry and it appears to have worked. PHEW! I can enjoy my favourite quilt on my bed again (when we get back) Thanks Birgit (and Bonnie who blogged a similar success with cleaning an antique quilt!!)
In the mail, a surprise from Anne.
My bedroom is already a shrine to Anne's talent. I love hearts and this crazy one is no exception.
I think I may have to hang it in another room though LOL. Thanks Anne.
Of course, we are still building here.... new stud walls...
I shall be glad to be away from it all for a while...
14 comments:
Hello Karol-Ann,
We would like to wish You and Your family a safe journey and a pleasant stay
in South-Africa.
Kind regards,
Richard, Sonnja & Beertje Zonn
Hope you have a lovely, lovely holiday - say 'hi' to SA for me!!!
......Luv AJ
That heart quilt is gorgeous I love how the blues and red work together. I'm glad all came out well from the washing. Happy Holiday.
I've got 2 of Anne's heart wall hangings and one of her table mats - lovely work.
Safe journey.
BTw can you get Synthrapol in the UK?
Beautiful little quilts by Anne!!
Safe travels and enjoy the beach with the family!!
Wishing you and your family a safe journey. Enjoy your stay in South Africa, especially the warm weather and sun. Hope to see some posts of your stay.
Love the hearts quilt!! Glad the washing went well.
Glad your efforts worked. Getting an old stain out turned out to be the least of the challenges!!
Enjoy your trip!
I am glad the quilt is ok. The heart from Anne is beautiful. She is a very talented quilter.
I am letting the house fairies know so that they can work on your house in your absence. Maybe they will get the message? I hope you don't mind sparkly fairy decor!!
Synthrapol is my friend...I always keep a bottle handy.
Hope you have a wonderful time and that the journey goes well. Keep in touch :o)
Had a similar situation with color bleed. Used the Synthrapol and color catcher sheets and no more concerns. I sent some of those sheets along with the quilt for future washings. Your heart quilt is lovely and so nice that you saved it...with a little help from Brigit. :) I see the dust has not settled on your construction project. I am hoping to light a fire under Tom's butt to do some electrical work for me. Maybe a few other dust kicker uppers as well. Safe flight. Look forward to hearing from you while you enjoy Africa.
I can imagine the trouble you went for the washing. Cold not be diferent the quilt is simply gorgeous!!!
Hope you enjoy your visit to (sunny) South Africa! Cape Town weather is unbelievable at the moment, as always in February. Joburg is chilly and very wet the last few weeks. Chat soon!
Hi, I nominated you for the "Sisterhood Award". Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog over the last few months. I certainly have enjoyed yours!
Post a Comment