
It was wonderful and because DS1 gets up pretty early I took him for a pre-breakfast swim both mornings. (DS2 came along on the second morning) We were always among the first people there besides the pool cleaners. Nothing like a warm dip before the sun comes up!


It's quite a drive to Montagu from Knysna and there are 2 routes: the R62 which is much longer, but more scenic or the N2 which is quicker and not so scenic. I convinced DH that if we went the N2 as he wished we would have loads of time to visit a quilt shop I had read about on the SA Quilter's Guild website. He obliged so off we went to the 'Hilltop Quiltshop' in Swellendam (a roundabout way to Montagu, but not too much out of our way). Sorry no photo, but this is what I bought. I did remarkably well as Carool who owns it doesn't stock a lot of fabric, but she did have these fabulous African prints...

(...and a few rose prints too)
The next day we strolled around Montagu, but a lot of the shops were shut (being Saturday afternoon.) I had read about this little fabric shop called 'Lapland'. It had this gorgeous hand made sign outside...

Inside they were stocktaking, but kindly let me have a little look. It stocks mainly dressmaking fabric, but I found this cute African fabric and a few iron on badges for DS1's clothes (Just had to get the Union Jack!)

Also in Montagu... an art gallery with a Christmas tree

decorated with teapots and teacups

Security is an issue in South Africa, but here's how to do it 'Montagu-style'

I came home to discover the cleaning lady had thrown one of the boy's quilts in the machine. It washed remarkably well according to DS2's inspection LOL

This quilt was made by my friend Ria and the boys both love it.
10 comments:
You all look to be having a wonderful time - bet you had a sharp intake of breath when you realised the quilt had been through the washer - doesn't look any worse for wear though
The fabrics are great - I have a little bit of one of those that looks like a black print overdyed parfait style...
Looks like lots of fun in Montagu.Glad the quilt survived. You just never know.
Karol-Ann you look like you are having a fabulous time...Looks so tropical!!! I'm jealous. It's cold here with highs of 7C! Yesterday it threatened snow and it hailed!! YUK.
How long are you down there? With such beautiful weather you'll never want to come back to the UK :o)
Hilltop quilters was a vendor at one of our guild meetings last year, she has fabulous stuff - you got a nice haul. Lapland looks like a great store. I'm going to have to keep it in mind when we visit Montagu - it's on the list of places to go...
So much African beauty in one post... people, nature, fabrics, houses and a stunning quilt!
Enjoy your time overthere!
Great photos - we're all so envious of you over there.... can't wait to see you soon xx
At least the security is beautiful :)
Looks like you had a great time! And a wonderful place to visit! You picked up some lovely fabrics, too :o) The Montagu-style security is gorgeous!
Hi. It seems like you are having a great time. Great photos and fabrics. Thanks for sharing.Take care and enjoy.
Post a Comment