Cushion: www.veldtdesign.co.za
The boys are counting sleeps, remembering friends and toys back home...
and I am wondering if I will remember how to sew, how to wear socks and how to open mail...
3 months of being in South Africa is almost over. 3 months of seeing the sun
and the lagoon
and the sea...
This week we will drive to Cape Town for the last time for a while and spend the last few days of our time in South Africa preparing for the onward journey to the UK...
bags will need to be packed (fabric secreted between clothes), goodbyes said and life will change again.
Sadly, it has taken almost the entire 3 months to release Sonnja's bears first from Customs and now the Post Office... I am hoping in my last few days here that I will able to deliver them to the children at the Red Cross Hospital with Ruth. But TIA (this is Africa)...
I feel sad to be going, but I have not properly unpacked my suitcase in 3 months.., I have lived the moment, but not the life.., I am ready for routine, but not complacency..., I feel nervous for the journey, but not the destination... Perhaps I am just ready to sew...More likely though I am ready for our new kitchen (!!)
I have missed friends, but will miss others that live here... I will miss my family, but have family there too. This is the life of one who has African soil in their soul and an Englishman in their heart...
I guess that's why I'm always covered in threads... Threads of these 2 lives. Fabric that sews me together and keeps me from falling apart. (And if I'm away from my friend Angie's cakes I'll not fear bursting at the seams either LOL)
And what will you read on this blog when I return? Perhaps a return to creativity? A finished project or two? Perhaps. But then that would be telling ;-D
15 comments:
With a minor alteration I may steal that phrase - 'This is the life of one who has African soil in their soul and an Englishman in their heart...'
Safe trip and happy landings.
Enjoy the last few day in SA and have a save trip back to the UK.
Moving from one life to another...hope it goes smoothly. Have a great trip home! We're looking forward to seeing you more often in the blogosphere.
Wish our children could not age so we can be free to enjoy these extended leaves each year. I would miss Africa too, but it will be good to return to the homestead where a nearly new kitchen awaits, and, friends who have missed you dearly. Safe flight home.
Your post reminds me of the song ‘You got the best of both worlds’ by Robert Palmer!
Have a safe trip home! I’m looking forward to your crafty posts and pictures of the kitchen!!
Sounds like you've had a wonderful time. Hope the return trip goes smoothly.
I can´t imagine how it is to live in another country than your family and the one you were born and raised in. I would miss my family and country a LOT. But as you say you have the other country´s man in your heart and that is something that makes it possible to live in another country.
Lovely post - safe journey !
Such a poignant post, yet undercurrents of joy. I feel what you feel and have never been to South Africa! May your trip go well and you find many new delights in your other home!
Sounds like the dilemma of a citizen of the world! Hope the travel is safe and the kitchen as wonderful as you dream it to be. Beautiful post.
What a beautiful setting, I can see why you'll miss it.
I understand the mixed feelings you have exactly -- I equally want to be traveling and exploring and be at home with my routine. I'm fortunate that I'm able to do both.
Wishing you a safe journey.
Looking forward to you getting back - safe journey back to Yorkshire
"This is the life of one who has African soil in their soul and an Englishman in their heart..."
These words jumped out at me, I stand in your shoes and know exactly what you mean. Saying goodbye to your loved ones is always soooo hard. Enjoy your last days and have a safe journey back. xx Wendy xx
I understand, in my own way, what you are going through. We have made the move from Oregon to West Texas. Everything is new and different, but I am excited to begin this new stage of life and hopefully soon I will have my sewing/quilting back! I do not know if I will know how to do it!
Wish you all a safe journey!
Post a Comment