
Last year I dug it out of a cupboard and said 'let's finish it', Mother groaned a lot, but it is now ready to be squared up. As Mom doesn't want to do anymore sewing on it, I sew and she tacks/bastes the fabric to the papers. Several needed to be cut as 3 of the 8 parts were incomplete. Some of the fabrics were short so we bamboozled and pieced scraps and the 8 parts are now done. I have done some drawings and calculations (don't ask, they may be wrong) and I have a squaring up theory. I plan to use a gradation of greens to kind of pull it all together. I'm also going to use rather large setting squares to get my straight lines and to save making almost a whole new quilt with all the bits we'd otherwise need.
We found the cutest quilt shop. Jack (DS1) loves it too as it's sort of detached from the owner's house and as the owner has a young daughter there is a swing and jungle gym in the garden. I have been informed that this is a 'nice shop Mummy'. Fabric shopping at leisure with DS1 in the garden was the business at the Quilting Bug which is a relief as I may have to visit again soon. I think I a bit short on one of the greens.
I had hoped to show more pictures, but after an hour of trying, I admit defeat and this one will have to do. We had a week or so in Cape Town with 3 visits to the Aquarium in that short time. The kids love it! So if you're reading this and had hoped for kiddi pics hopefully next time :O) And if your reading this and are only interested in quilting, count your lucky stars LOL. Speaking of stars, anyone know what an 8 pointed star calls itself?
12 comments:
Love the quilt! The shop you visited was the vendor at one of our guild meetings last year - lovely stuff. How much longer are you in CT for?
Tell your Mum that her quilt is going to be stunning when complete, I am pretty sure quilts like that are meant to take 20 years or so. LOL
Glad to hear you are doing well...and that you are having a good time!
That is a stunning quilt! It'd be such a shame to let it wilt in a cupboard, but I'm glad you're wrestling with it, and not me!
Wow, what a project! It is going to be such a wonderful quilt! And how great you and your Mum can finishi this together!
You are a brave woman Karol-Ann.....lol ! No really it would be such a shame if this weren't finished. The big question is - who will get to keep it when it's done ? Perhaps you could have a time-share system with your mum !
Lovely to hear from you Karol-Ann - your english paper piecing looks lovely and a very valid excuse to visit the LQS I'd say :o) we're missing you with your intermittent internet access - when do you come back to the UK?
Wow, wow, this one is adorable, what a job. You will show us more pictures when you get back to the UK. It was really nice hearing from you.
What a wonderful family heirloom the two of you are creating together -- particularly because it was "shelved" all those years ago unfinnished. How special it (and your memories of working on it with your mom) will be.
That really is a monster quit.
Fab to finish heirlooms! I still haven't finished the English paper pieced quilt I started in 1980! ONe day... When are you coming home K-A I miss you! I'm feeling really down just now, as my partner has just been taken to hospital in an ambulance, although the paramedics assured me it wasn't serious. I had to stay here because of the children. As it is past midnight I feel pretty wretched. Love Kate
The quilt looks spectacular. Keep up the good work. Life down south sounds great. Enjoy your stay but miss your posts. Hope to see you back on line soon ;)
Happy quilting, Helen
Post a Comment