Thursday, 22 November 2007

Mean Momma!

I have never had a Christmas stocking. As kids, my brother and I used to hang an old pillowcase over the end of our bed. Now I have children and I had planned to do the same. But I have been told that I'm just mean, so with Christmas fabric in hand and an old stocking donated by Grandma as the pattern, I whipped up 2 last night. I'll add the trim and their names closer to Christmas.

While I was about it I thought I'd make DH one too, but then I thought he has so many odd socks lying around, I'll just hang up one of those as a joke instead! Ho ho ho!


I also needed a new nappy bag. I have a nappy bag, it's nasty and I often don't even take it out of the car. I make bags, but not normally for me. I guess because I can make a bag nobody would make me one so I thought I'll just knuckle down and make this one. You can never have too many bags!!

I added loads of compartments and pockets. Still there's not enough! But this will do. For now.

9 comments:

Fiona said...

Very pretty stocking - like you, I never had one either, we always used pillowcases too.

dutchcomfort said...

We don’t use Christmas Stockings. I love the photos of mantelpieces full of stockings and happy families looking at them... In magazines all Christmassy stuff looks always so wonderful. No fights about where to eat and what to eat, no women with long shoppingslists, aprons and red faces...

Susan D said...

We used pillowcases as well. I can still remember waking and seeing the shape at the bottom of the bed full of lumps and bumps.

Quilting Pirate said...

I think if you made christmas pillows to carry on your own traditions it would be cool...heck with what other folks say!! Christmas is built on traditions passed through generations!!

I love your new bag !! Nice fabric :D

Vicki W said...

Very cute stocking but the Christmas pillowcase is a GREAT idea to carry on a real family tradition!

Helen said...

Love the Christmas stocking. A pillowcase is a nice alternative (lol). Was it easy to make? Will it see another part of our world?? ;)
I bought a pattern recently to make a stocking for next year :) The pattern is coming all the way from Australia.
Have fun sewing.

Unknown said...

A pillowcase and one of Dad's socks each were de rigeur in our house too - my three all have stockings I made when they were tiny - love that Father Christmas fabric you've used and the red pom-pom trim sets it off a treat

Anonymous said...

Great stocking. I'm going shopping Sunday to find fabric to make one for our little girl's first Christmas.

Unknown said...

There is alway something new you have done, I really don´t know how you manage to do so much.